So looking into lowering my car. Kinda of went away from coilovers because I'm not sold on the ride being overly stiff for my daily driver, but I want something with a decent drop rate. Read a lot into a few different brands, some swear by Tein and others say stay away? Anyone have them? Other options, Prodrive or Cobb? A lot of people say RaceComp Engineering Yellows or Blacks are by far the best, but I don't think you can get them in the UK? 

I had elbaich pro springs on my v3 uk classic, which lowered it by 30mm and were ideal for a daily due to their progressive rate .

Couldn't say whether they'd be any good on newage sti strutts. As ideally you need to match the spring rates to the dampers to suit your needs .

I would suggest going out in a scoob with coilovers and 1 with lowering springs (to get a comparison ).

As Garys bug sti has lowering springs and he said my classic dropped 40mm ish on coilovers was a nicer ride than his bug .

Mr b knows much more about springs than me so hopefully he'll have a suggestion

17 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

I had elbaich pro springs on my v3 uk classic, which lowered it by 30mm and were ideal for a daily due to their progressive rate .

Couldn't say whether they'd be any good on newage sti strutts. As ideally you need to match the spring rates to the dampers to suit your needs .

I would suggest going out in a scoob with coilovers and 1 with lowering springs (to get a comparison ).

As Garys bug sti has lowering springs and he said my classic dropped 40mm ish on coilovers was a nicer ride than his bug .

Mr b knows much more about springs than me so hopefully he'll have a suggestion

To be honest, I would plan on upgrading to struts to Koni Yellow or Tokico Blue anyways.

I know what you mean, but I don't know many Scoob owners near me that have springs or coilovers. I'm leaning towards springs with new struts, more for ride comfort than anything as I don't plan on doing track days (yet...maybe in the distance future I'll do some, but probably not enough to justify coilovers). Ideally I'd like something so there's no wheel gap, which I know coilovers would give me...

Wheel gaps are like fannies. ....

The more fingers you get in em the worse they are [emoji23]

lmao, lower the tone why not hahahahaha

Yeah sorry , I've been in a dyno cell for a couple of hrs today swear i got high of the v power [emoji12] .

Ive come down now , so back on track lol , i found that the cost of new shocks n springs wasn't far off medium range adjustable coilovers . So id definitely do your homework on what rate and brand suits you needs as once bought you cant change the height or dampening with the springs n shocks .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, savage bulldogs said:

lmao, lower the tone why not hahahahaha

Yeah sorry , I've been in a dyno cell for a couple of hrs today swear i got high of the v power emoji12.png .

Ive come down now , so back on track lol , i found that the cost of new shocks n springs wasn't far off medium range adjustable coilovers . So id definitely do your homework on what rate and brand suits you needs as once bought you cant change the height or dampening with the springs n shocks .

Yeah mate. £900 for Tein coilovers...but I'm sure I can run OE STI stuff with the RCE Yellows and they're about £250...gahhhh decisions! Wheel gap arghhhh!

If the oe sti shocks are in good nick I think they work well , I just assumed the rears were "knocking" .As it tends to be a fairly common issue with the newage shocks .

So if your not buying shocks at £400 + a set, springs seem like a good option. You could probably sell them on if you didn't like them anyways.

Sorry I can't suggest which brand of newage springs to use but I've only ever owned classics.

Check to see if your model has front and rear camber bolts .As most imprezas only have front camber bolts, which leaves whoever s doing the geo with no way of adjusting the rear camber once it's lowered and the camber changes [emoji6]

I put direnza lowering springs 30mm with bilstein shocks on my 206 gti track day car they were progressive handles great but make a bit of a noise where the closer springs are wound when driving tried fitting springs either way round made no difference after googling progressive springs are known for being noisy some cars worse than others dont no if i would fit again to my daily driver as noise really got on my !Removed!😤want to change my scooby shocks and or springs but not sure what to get want it slightly lower and a tad stiffer but not so my teeth hurt getting to old for that😂😂

Yeah, don't really want anything super stiff or really loud, hence why I was thinking along the lines of springs more than coilovers. Think I'm going to have to have a really good research into them. Tein springs are only £190 or so.

9 hours ago, kershaw-330s said:

I've heard mixed reviews about tien springs . Regarding sagging after time and corrosion issues . I think most people of just running springs use eibach springs

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Yep, same. Most springs seem to be about the same price though. I've heard mixed on Eibach as well if I'm honest. Think Eibach runs about £230? I'm tempted to try those RaceComp Engineering ones...just get my parents to bring them over with them.

Whiteline have had some great reviews with their kit - however what I don't know is if they have had the time in the market place for stuff to fail, be mistreated etc?? I used Eibach and Koni combination in the early nineties which transformed the handling of my sirocco.

Litchfield, who have a reasonable reputation when it comes to tuning the scooby chassis :wink: sell both Eibach and Whiteline products (disclaimer - other product supply companies are available :biggrin:) but I think they use the Whiteline ARB product then an Eibach spring Bilstein damper combination 

So my 2p I dont think you will be disappointed with either option.

here are the spring codes for the whiteline product - limited lifetime warranty as well

Wline.jpg

• Like 1

Yep Whiteline have loads of good reviews on their sway bars etc. but like you said, can't find anything on the lowering springs. Decent price though and we know the rest of their stuff is quality...wondering if they're worth a punt. Says you can use OE with them as well. Just wish the drop was a tad more! Was hoping for just around 30mm, maybe a bit more (coilovers)...

If you are wanting to go for that much change the dampers as well, they are designed to work with a rod length, shims, valves etc related to the spring height and compression rates. Too small and the travel is really cut down, really affects the feel etc

1 hour ago, Jay762 said:

If you are wanting to go for that much change the dampers as well, they are designed to work with a rod length, shims, valves etc related to the spring height and compression rates. Too small and the travel is really cut down, really affects the feel etc

Where from?

Just seen a set of H&R that lower 35mm (better...wheel gap bad!) on LarkSpeed...£208. Gahhhhh I'm so torn on this...

As you have the STI all I have found are lowering options for 20mm lowering - compared to the WRX options which say 30mm - the STI must be lower as standard than the WRX.

I have H&R spacers on my motor - great quality product.

Why not go for a set of springs as a short term thing then that way it will be a compromise to get the looks whilst researching some coilover options which will get the car as low as you want with the flexibility of damping adjustment but will obviously cost quite a bit more.

Or I have found this Koni / Eibach solution

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/koni-sport-front-dampers/subaru/impreza.html

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/eibach-pro-kit-springs/subaru/impreza.html

comes in at about £900 sheets though

As you have the STI all I have found are lowering options for 20mm lowering - compared to the WRX options which say 30mm - the STI must be lower as standard than the WRX.

I have H&R spacers on my motor - great quality product.

Why not go for a set of springs as a short term thing then that way it will be a compromise to get the looks whilst researching some coilover options which will get the car as low as you want with the flexibility of damping adjustment but will obviously cost quite a bit more.

Or I have found this Koni / Eibach solution

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/koni-sport-front-dampers/subaru/impreza.html

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/eibach-pro-kit-springs/subaru/impreza.html

comes in at about £900 sheets though

My argument would be not to spend £900 on shocks and springs you could get a set of bc coilovers for less than that about £700 for a decent set brand new , and you will get much more adjustability with coilovers, but ride comfort may be slightly compromised but depending on how big you budget is you can't get much better than ohlins , kws and nitron coils although they draw a premium , the are the best quality you can get , and will be a much lesser compromise to your ride comfort

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Afaik on classics there's 2 types of elbaich springs ,the pro springs (what I had) match the uk turbo/wrx shocks and I found them ideal for a daily. I think they get bad reviews when fitted to the v3 onward red sti shocks as they don't match the stiffer dampening. Where as the p1 springs (also made by elbaich) are much better suited to the sti strutts.

The Whiteline arb ,droplinks and roll centre correction kit I run do work well but they are known to corrode prematurely (still work but don't look pretty for long )

My elbaich pro springs still have most of the powder coating in good condition after 4 yrs of salty winters .

But that's from personal experience on on my classics . The only person that I know who run tein springs on a newage wrx, had 1 snap just outta warranty and had to buy a full set due to them not selling them singularly.