Slight knock under light load

Dogconker

On 18/03/2018 at 10:48 AM, Aberdeen Chris said:

Lol.

Well I have a very well equipped garage with airtools and allsorts. That and a pair of insulated overalls makes for quality time with the Scoob 😊

Not a luxury I have

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 9:58 AM, Aberdeen Chris said:

I take an empty oil container to the dealer. They fill it and give me a new filter for under 40 pounds. I have the receipt as proof the correct oil was used and it takes about twenty mins to complete.

The filters at the top of the engine so easy to access, and I can for an old kitchen sink bowl under and the drain plug is easy to access also.

I just like fixing my own car as I can see the condition of other components while I'm there. Re-setting the oil dilution on Ecu is a series of steppes with lights and pedals. There is a flashing icon when done successfully.

Hey Chris, 

any chance you can go and bulk buy the genuine filters from your dealer then post them out to us less fortunate than yourself?

Cheapest I can get a genuine filter is about £25 and the last time I was in and bought oil from the Subaru parts counter it was over £50.

Now i just wait for ECP to do a deal on the Petronas Syntium that was originally recommended with the car and buy it. £30 I think I paid for my last lot. I'm still at the stage of refusing to use anything but genuine filters for now.

2 minutes ago, Swayze88 said:

Hey Chris, 

any chance you can go and bulk buy the genuine filters from your dealer then post them out to us less fortunate than yourself?

Cheapest I can get a genuine filter is about £25 and the last time I was in and bought oil from the Subaru parts counter it was over £50.

Now i just wait for ECP to do a deal on the Petronas Syntium that was originally recommended with the car and buy it. £30 I think I paid for my last lot. I'm still at the stage of refusing to use anything but genuine filters for now.

This is why for £70 I don’t even bother getting my hands dirty 😂

I asked how much the dealer charges for oil and filter change as the price for oil seems to have risen somewhat. I think I must have been sold the oil at trade price last time lol.

They said it would be app 150 for them to do the change.

I bought genuine filters off eBay and compared with what I got at the main dealer. They were exactly the same oil filter and packaging.

I will take a photo of it when I've cut logs stacked up against the cupboard the filters in. Also I will find it on the bay again and get another as a spare and forward the details.

It's Havoline oil the dealer specifies here

I bought two from the dealer over a year ago, then this from eBay so I could compare like for like. 

It is exactly the same as original because it is original .

Just bought another 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201521073195

Make sure yours is the 15208AA110 filter on yours first. My car is 2016 diesal version.

£14.50 delivered 😁

15233851490561156167711.jpg

15233852066898698792.jpg

15233853087271382841997.jpg

Ebay's pretty good if you can find them, although my last one on eBay arrived with a big dent in it, to be fair to the seller, after I sent them a picture they posted me out a replacement, which meant I could use the dented one for a flush after buying the orange car.

I just ordered 2 from Subaru-parts.co.uk £18.50 each plus £5.50 postage, but as i was buying a sliding center armrest as well the postage wasn't an issue.

Yeah 15208AA110 for the diesel. 

Also just bought 2 Fumoto Valves, one for my car and one for the Wifes. That along with the top mounted filter will make oil changes so easy. (Quick Valve UK - F-105 M20-1.5) same as for all the Diesel EE20Z engines I believe.

Sliding armrest. Hmmm that sounds interesting!!

Does it make the rest any longer? As my dog who likes to sit there would like that.

She only gets in the front when I have me chainsaw chaps and associated stuff in the boot hidden and strapped in.

On 13/04/2018 at 8:25 PM, Aberdeen Chris said:

Sliding armrest. Hmmm that sounds interesting!!

Does it make the rest any longer? As my dog who likes to sit there would like that.

She only gets in the front when I have me chainsaw chaps and associated stuff in the boot hidden and strapped in.

I'll pop it into the what did I do today post, so as to not dilute this post any further.

So my car is going back in again about this knock when it’s warming up. Its ok when its stone cold for about a mile and it’s definitely much better after about 15mins but between those points it sounds like this, taken by putting a mobile phone on record so that’ll give you an indication how loud this has to be to be recorded inside.

no picture but turn up sound. Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, Aberdeen Chris said:

Could it be some metal come away in the fuel pump. This can happen after a misfuel, and may not show for many thousands of miles after the event

Its never been misfuelled, I’m the only person to have put fuel in it.

12 hours ago, Aberdeen Chris said:

Have you had the car from new...

Sorry just a thought on what could possibly cause a noise like it

Could it be slapping of the timing chain? a failing tensioner?

On 4/19/2018 at 12:47 PM, Swayze88 said:

Could it be slapping of the timing chain? a failing tensioner?

So I took the car to the dealers and several people looked over it listened to it and drove it and the geveral consensus is thattge noise is deisel knock cause by a failing diesel injector. 

I’m hoping that this is covered under the drive train warranty because it sounds expensive, it goes in an a couple if weeks to get sorted.

in the meantime I have to drive about with an engube that sounds like its got a little gnome inside trying to get out with a hammer and chisel 😩

I’d have thought it would be covered as it’s a pretty essential part of the “drive chain”.  If it’s not then I’d be pushing for a Subaru UK contribution. Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction it’s never comfortable to run a car knowing there is an underlying fault.

52 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’d have thought it would be covered as it’s a pretty essential part of the “drive chain”.  If it’s not then I’d be pushing for a Subaru UK contribution. Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction it’s never comfortable to run a car knowing there is an underlying fault.

I have already advised the dealer that this is drive train as i would say they are internal components, especially as I first recorded this knock back in October and it wasn’t resolved and now its worse.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I dropped mine off at the dealers the other day, picked up a courtesy car, I say car depends if you can call an MG2 a car, I used to pedal bigger and more powerful cars around the garden as a child. Dreadful car, makes me realise why I have the XV. Literally no power and the noise on the motorway is unreal.

Anyway the dealer is looking at the injectors, the plan is to get Subaru to authorise the replacement of all the injectors as that’s possibly cheaper than trying to work out which injector has is failing.

At least the warranty does state injectors are included within the drive train so it’s not going to cost me anything.

They believe the noise in the video is diesel knock caused by a failing sensor, only really does it bad when the weather is cold so glad I got this video as evidence.

This has gone to Subaru Technical and I’m now waiting to hear back what they intend to do about it.

3 hours ago, Dogconker said:

So I dropped mine off at the dealers the other day, picked up a courtesy car, I say car depends if you can call an MG2 a car, I used to pedal bigger and more powerful cars around the garden as a child. Dreadful car, makes me realise why I have the XV. Literally no power and the noise on the motorway is unreal.

Anyway the dealer is looking at the injectors, the plan is to get Subaru to authorise the replacement of all the injectors as that’s possibly cheaper than trying to work out which injector has is failing.

At least the warranty does state injectors are included within the drive train so it’s not going to cost me anything.

They believe the noise in the video is diesel knock caused by a failing sensor, only really does it bad when the weather is cold so glad I got this video as evidence.

This has gone to Subaru Technical and I’m now waiting to hear back what they intend to do about it.

Probably good if they change all the injectors I’m sure you’d be much happier with that. It’s always difficult to diagnose sensors unless they fail completely. Hope you get it sorted soon and get back to driving a proper car!

16 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Probably good if they change all the injectors I’m sure you’d be much happier with that. It’s always difficult to diagnose sensors unless they fail completely. Hope you get it sorted soon and get back to driving a proper car!

Honestly I hate this MG almost as much as I hate the Nissan Puke.

8 hours ago, Aberdeen Chris said:

I'm showing my age, but I remember when a Rover was a good car. Like the 2200tc with the spare on the boot. But that was a very long time ago...

Hope yours gets a new lease of life with a new set of injectors 😁

+1, I had an MGB for awhile, a car that was fun to drive.  I think the trouble for most Subaru dealers is that there is not a small car in the range for them to have as a curtesy car.  

52 minutes ago, ernieb said:

+1, I had an MGB for awhile, a car that was fun to drive.  I think the trouble for most Subaru dealers is that there is not a small car in the range for them to have as a curtesy car.  

Well this subaru dealer is also an MG dealer so you get these crappy cars as courtesy cars. It feels like I’m sitting on it rather than in it! 

Hoping to today what Subaru intend to do with the car

Lol,

I was driving back from the woods yesterday and in Echt, a tiny village, a 4wd in a line of parked cars suddenly pulled out facing me without any indication.

I was cruising along window down, one hand on the wheel and tired after ten hours working in my woodland doing 34.

My hand flicked the wheel instinctively and the XV moved out so quickly and responsibly that I'm not sure which gave me the biggest surprise.

I don't drive quickly these days, but I have not driven another car that wouldn't have taken to long to have responded and avoided a head on overlap  accident in this scenario.

The XV is awesome 😏

I’ve only had the XV for a short time but impressed already with the amount of control as it corners with virtually no body roll, point the car and it delivers.  Interestingly where we have our family lodge in Derbyshire one of the owners has had a series of Range Rovers and now a Jag.  We were there last week and he stopped and asked me about the car and was really taken with the build quality, style and features and the blown away when he asked the price. Generally paying almost double that for his cars he was somewhat surprised and kept commenting on how different it looked to the run of the mill SUV’s. Sorry could not resist adding another photo!😀

75E8EF4C-E7C7-435C-9981-D5E6FAC847D4.jpeg