Best engine swaps for 99 uk turbo

Paul888

Hi all wanted to pick your brains for the best swaps engine wise, my engine is a 1998 , 96k (ej20g) pulls well not had any major issues with it,but instead of whipping the heads off (after suspected head gasket leak) which i’ve yet to trace and confirm, i’m considering future engine swaps in the coming months/year. 

I don’t want massive power 280-300 would do i’ve read about ej207 blocks and mating the ej20g heads to it, but am unsure of the full facts of the conversion like looms, can i use existing ej20g inlet manifold etc ? headgasket thickness,  will everything i remove from the ej20g bolt back up to the 207 block using ej20g heads ? 

Or is a complete ej205  swap easier ? i’m not monied, so funds are not unlimited tbh . 

Sorry to bore those who frequently read these type of questions but my knowledge isn’t great engine wise, and google seems to throw up loads of usdm answers that aren’t relevant,cheers in advance . 

Paul . 

just depends what sort of budget your thinking of. if your planing to keep the car i would always say fork out for a proper rebuild, second hand engines are just that.

After that again it just depends what you want to do. a classic sti engine will drop straight in and be fine for 300-350 assuming you can find a decent one.

• Like 1

Cheers tidgy , i was originally thinking brand new ej207 block and re using ej20g heads i have already . But as you mention a classic sti engine would be good enough just finding a good one , and if a rebuild is advised i’d rather go new block etc .. 

5 hours ago, Paul888 said:

Cheers tidgy , i was originally thinking brand new ej207 block and re using ej20g heads i have already . But as you mention a classic sti engine would be good enough just finding a good one , and if a rebuild is advised i’d rather go new block etc .. 

new block isn't always the best, a seasoned block is by far a better choice, aka a decent used one that's gone through heat cycles. Most big power builds used seasoned blocks

• Like 1

V1 and v2 run a phase 1 inlet (slanty tmic and top entry turbo ) . v3 /v4 run a phase 1.5 inlet (straight tmic and front entry turbo) .

Although the manifold and auxiliaries differ in shape V1 to v4 inlet and head ports are the same . So this means that you can fit either phase 1 or phase 1.5 inlet and auxiliaries to any v1 to v4 long engine (block and heads)

V5 onwards inlet manifold and head ports use a different stud and port pattern, which means they wont fit the earlier phase 1 &1.5 heads or inlets without modification.

Easiest option is to use the correct phase 1.5 inlet and auxiliaries for your v4 car bolted to v1 to v4 heads , as this will mean you dont have any loom alterations to make .

The v1 to v4 heads will physically bolt onto any 2ltr or 2.5 ltr bottom end . The only real issue is knowing what size chamber the heads you use have and what cc the the piston crown "bowel" is that the bottom end has .As you need these measurements to calculate the head gasket thickness to achieve the 8.5.1 compression ratio .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk