Swayze88

• 4 weeks later...

So after fitting a K&N air filter my MPG has improved slightly, however still seems to be sporadic.

Last night I checked the oil, maybe 3/ 3.5 hours after parking up, I noticed that it was a fair way over the top fill mark. maybe an Inch or so.

Potentially this could be causing undue pressure and reducing mpg? I'm thinking that I will try to remove some oil this evening. Although the oil looked very black so I may do an oil change at the weekend, as my trust in the 3 year service is some what lacking at the moment.

"The Saga continues"

1 hour ago, Swayze88 said:

Thanks Marcothio, I will check the oil again when i get home tonight and go from there.

I had issue with a dealer not completing a service correctly that is still ongoing and quite messy at the minute. But servicing does affect fuel efficiency, especially if in you service they haven't updated the cars firmware, which they should do. 

Parked the car, gave it 5 minutes and checked the oil, Don't know how clear that will be in the picture, but to me it looked like the oil was above the twist, so probably about 5cm over the top hole. Think I'll drain some out if I can then order some new oil for an "intermediate" service. The oil is pretty black, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying that is because it's a diesel.

IMG_20160818_195438.jpg

So drained out the oil via the dipstick pipe and a length of skinny tube, measured the tube off the dipstick, to make sure I inserted it down to just below the top fill mark, took an age to drain out, but got there in the end. Looks like maybe around a litre came out. Drove to work and got 49mpg, which is an improvement but I'll see what the journey home is like.

IMG_20160818_222010.jpg

IMG_20160818_222233.jpg

IMG_20160818_222419.jpg

IMG_20160819_082659.jpg

2 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

So drained out the oil via the dipstick pipe and a length of skinny tube, measured the tube off the dipstick, to make sure I inserted it down to just below the top fill mark, took an age to drain out, but got there in the end. Looks like maybe around a litre came out. Drove to work and got 49mpg, which is an improvement but I'll see what the journey home is like.

IMG_20160818_222010.jpg

IMG_20160818_222233.jpg

IMG_20160818_222419.jpg

IMG_20160819_082659.jpg

Looks like you found the problem, that mpg is much better!

by the way, I noticed this post on oil and mpg with WRX's.. seems to fit: 

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/general-maintenance-troubleshooting-accidents/134332916-too-much-oil-low-mpg.html

So I would advise everyone to be vigilant on checking their oil especially after a service. My average is now 46 up from low 40s, and seems to be climbing every day, and my work journey is now mid 50s where the highest I had achieved before was 51 on a determined mpg run. I can't believe the difference it has made, and has transformed the car. I am now interested to see what difference new oil and filter will make, if any. 

IMG-20160822-WA0001.jpeg

Impressive! This just shows the importance of oil in our XVs indeed. Do you believe the change in air filter has contributed as well? You mentioned swapping it for a K&N filter, I wonder whether these are better than the stock Subaru.

55 minutes ago, marcothio said:

Impressive! This just shows the importance of oil in our XVs indeed. Do you believe the change in air filter has contributed as well? You mentioned swapping it for a K&N filter, I wonder whether these are better than the stock Subaru.

Hi Marcothio, I would say that the filter helped slightly, however I'm not sure if that was because the K&N is any better, or just due to the fact that it is fresh and clean compared to the original one. I've never used K&N before, so dont have any loyalty or preference for them, It was about £20 more than an OEM Subaru filter, so not cheap. Its hard to say if its any better as I obviously had a less than perfect running car regardless of Air filter, and had not much driving time before swapping out the old one.

• 3 weeks later...

Your MPG does seem a little low, I'm currently just doing 10miles a day in town driving (and a bit of putting my foot down) and I'm stil getting 44-45mpg, but my wife that is doing about 40 miles each day on a mix of roads including about 10miles on motorway is getting 48-50

Our Average is now sitting at 45mpg so i'm still not 100% happy that its running right, but its so hard to say, obviously with different peoples driving styles and the roads people drive on.

If i'm lucky I'll get to do a similar drive this weekend to the one I did at the beginning of the post, on the motorway with the bike rack on. that will give me a nice comparison to see how much improvement there has been (assuming I can limit myself to 70mph on the cruise control).

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to flogg a dead horse, but i've still not convinced myself that i'm getting the MPG that I deserve.

I've just double checked the Service receipt and noticed that they have used 5W30 Engine oil.

The manual specifically says 0W30 for our diesels but that 5W30 can be used if replenishment is needed.

Should a subaru Garage be using 5W30 when it is not the recommended? Do they have any obligation to use the recommended oil?

I was going to do an oil service this weekend so that I'm 100% happy its actually been done. My Faith in Subaru Falkirk is somewhat lacking.

Subaru Service.PNG

Got my 60k service done and, like Swayze88, my scoob was also topped up with 5W30 as well. When asked why, it seems a way to keep costs (or profit.....) in check. Not too happy with this of course and left with a grumpy feeling. Until I drove away and noticed a huge improvement in overall performance and steering which made the grumpy feeling pass away.

10 hours ago, marcothio said:

Got my 60k service done and, like Swayze88, my scoob was also topped up with 5W30 as well. When asked why, it seems a way to keep costs (or profit.....) in check. Not too happy with this of course and left with a grumpy feeling. Until I drove away and noticed a huge improvement in overall performance and steering which made the grumpy feeling pass away.

If they're a main dealer I'd contact Subaru because it may affect warranty and I'm pretty sure your dealer will say it wasn't them after the event. This is part of the fight im am having now with a dealers 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had my 2015 XV serviced, 2nd service at 22,000 miles, (1st was done at 9818 miles 8 to 9 months after purchase when the service light came on) at the main dealer the car was purchased from.

After both services 1 litre of  Castrol Edge Professional LongLife III 5w-30 engine oil was supplied for use if engine needs topping up before the next service.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:23 AM, Dogconker said:

If they're a main dealer I'd contact Subaru because it may affect warranty and I'm pretty sure your dealer will say it wasn't them after the event. This is part of the fight im am having now with a dealers 

Just checked invoice and 5.9 litres of the above oil is listed. So they can't claim it wasn't them that put it in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2016 at 10:54 PM, Mole said:

Just checked invoice and 5.9 litres of the above oil is listed. So they can't claim it wasn't them that put it in.

I think 5.9L is the correct amount for a Diesel XV if I remember correctly, I think its only 5 for the petrol models?

But it does clearly state in the handbook that it's 0-30 oil that needs to be put in. I had a long discussion with a Subaru dealers who said it could void your warranty if running the wrong oil. 

Did you contact Subaru UK customer service to get confirmation of your dealer's claim that they can use 5w-30?

Just had a read of this thread. Driving with the excessive amount of oil in the sump and the flat configuration I would say there is a very good chance you have been throwing oil into the breather system - this in turn going through your chambers is going to impact the power of the combustion as well as coat your dpf.

It might be worth having a look down your intake manifold. Excuse my ignorance cannot remember if the XV is NA or turbo but if so disconnecting some of the lower sitting intercooler hoses may result in draining oil out as well? 

Just had a read of this thread. Driving with the excessive amount of oil in the sump and the flat configuration I would say there is a very good chance you have been throwing oil into the breather system - this in turn going through your chambers is going to impact the power of the combustion as well as coat your dpf.

It might be worth having a look down your intake manifold. Excuse my ignorance cannot remember if the XV is NA or turbo but if so disconnecting some of the lower sitting intercooler hoses may result in draining oil out as well? 

Jay, it is a turbo intercooler in the XV diesel.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk