Re maps

cbscooby

1 hour ago, Scoobyghost said:

Let's avoid another flame war though eh?

33 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

Sound like a broken record now...bring your cheque book, prepare for more to be wrong with you car than you ever imagine and don't leave it alone with them. Does they guy that damaged that other fellas motor still work for clinic tidgy?

:ph34r:

I know the guy in question was going to resign over the matter but , I believe the owner of clinic was defending his actions and trying to pusade him to stay as he was a long standing experienced member of staff .. The final outcome I'm unsure .

A link to the video of the incident on the " daily mail " website still comes up whenever I type scooby clinic in on Google the footage think of it what you will. But in my opinion you cannot defend those actions , but for them to come through that and still be in existence and still have a big group of customers that support them , can only mean they must be doing something right

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoobyghost said:

Sound like a broken record now...bring your cheque book, prepare for more to be wrong with you car than you ever imagine and don't leave it alone with them. Does they guy that damaged that other fellas motor still work for clinic tidgy?

which motor?

Just to balance this out - on the UK Legacy forum, there is no bad word said about Duncan and quite a few people have used him - engine rebuilders as well - and believe he is a reputable guy who knows what he is doing.

It sounds like a few of you have genuinely had a problem with this guy. Some bad things have happened to your motors after Duncan has remapped it and with him now receiving the blame. I have never used him - instead used Bob Rawle. But that wasn't out of reputation issues. It is a shame that he can't come on here and defend himself or explain himself.

I am not belittling the issues some of you have had. But remappers are either the worst thing out there when it goes wrong after or God when it goes brilliantly. I suppose that's the challenge they have.

I am sure the following is not lost on you all - your car is remapped by someone and goes wrong, it's always the mappers fault. But just throwing in that curve ball - could it be the age and ability of the motor and its components that was/is failing, not the mapper ? I respect the mapper should get the fueling right, the AFR sorted. But there are a number of other things that could "play up" or perhaps play into the equation.

Just something for you to consider.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daz-RSK said:

Just to balance this out - on the UK Legacy forum, there is no bad word said about Duncan and quite a few people have used him - engine rebuilders as well - and believe he is a reputable guy who knows what he is doing.

It sounds like a few of you have genuinely had a problem with this guy. Some bad things have happened to your motors after Duncan has remapped it and with him now receiving the blame. I have never used him - instead used Bob Rawle. But that wasn't out of reputation issues. It is a shame that he can't come on here and defend himself or explain himself.

I am not belittling the issues some of you have had. But remappers are either the worst thing out there when it goes wrong after or God when it goes brilliantly. I suppose that's the challenge they have.

I am sure the following is not lost on you all - your car is remapped by someone and goes wrong, it's always the mappers fault. But just throwing in that curve ball - could it be the age and ability of the motor and its components that was/is failing, not the mapper ? I respect the mapper should get the fueling right, the AFR sorted. But there are a number of other things that could "play up" or perhaps play into the equation.

Just something for you to consider.

You will get various opinions on who ever you ask about. Problem is with dynamite he doesn't dare post on several sites such as 22b, shown to be lacking in technical knowledge by several of the most well respected tuners/mappers in the country. He is known to rush maps, claims to be able to map round faults (that most major mappers will terminate the mapping session if found and not fixable there and then) and doesn't road test post map. 

I'd be interested to know what engine builders use him?

I've used Duncan for a number of years now on a couple of cars and will continue to use him not had a single problem with the maps he's done Yh he's a nightmare to get hold off waited 3 weeks for him to reply to a text once but the thing I like tho is he just maps don't try to sell you stuff you don't need like scooby clinic tried to. There is good and bad to say about everyone

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I no of someone who went to pick up there car after Duncan had mapped it at a local garage and it wouldnt start and someone else was brought in to sort it aka Andy Carr who i only here good things about....i dont think you can ignore peoples view like piggsniffer as he,s telling his experiance and that would defeat the object of the forum ?but if you hear a lot of bad experiences from people they cant all be wrong and again if you hear a lot of positives of tuners etc i would generally go with that as we are all here to help each other get a good service and avoid any crap we have gone through with bad work 😎just my 2 cents 😂

• Like 1

Short and curlies of the matter are, you can find good and bad about everyone online, I'm not posting to badmouth or bigup anyone, I've read good and bad things about bob, Andy carr, sc, dunc, and Andy forrest, I think alot of it should be read with an open mind, as we all know the far reaching power of the internet and it may or may not be true, do your research well and make sure your car is in tip top condition before mapping session, faults can develop or show up that you may not have been aware of,

People want things that may not be achievable or they demand more and more form the car that may make it go pop six months down the line then whoever mapped it gets the Blame,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Piggysniffer said:

It's not about the car going wrong, that happens, it is all down to how the mapper helps you out in that eventuality, in my case, not at all, if I do something and it goes wrong I will sort it, or at least find out if I did the wrong or not, I got my car mapped and it started knocking it's !Removed! off, only way to stop it was disconnect avcs, he said he used more avcs in the map, I think that says it all

I realise that you have had a rough time with this mapper. I am not knocking that and frankly, I would be livid as well that he's told you the way it has been mapped and now you have to disconnect something to make the vehicle work properly.

All I was doing was saying that there are a number of variables that can cause issues after a remap. Yes, the remapper is in there. But quality and age of items on the car. For example, all the fueling / sparking / airflow stuff is brand new on your car, I presume ?

13 hours ago, Tidgy said:

Problem is with dynamite he doesn't dare post on several sites such as 22b, shown to be lacking in technical knowledge by several of the most well respected tuners/mappers in the country. He is known to rush maps, claims to be able to map round faults (that most major mappers will terminate the mapping session if found and not fixable there and then) and doesn't road test post map. 

I'd be interested to know what engine builders use him?

So who are these people then - these well respected mappers - who believe the guy is duff ? What is their agenda for dismissing this guy - not obviously to create more business for themselves, naturally ? And frankly, it is extremely dangerous for other experts to comment on 2nd hand information passed through forums - if there are other mappers doing this, I think they are on a dangerous wicket themselves for dismissing people in their trade based on, at best, vague information that they weren't there to witness and at worst, judging people without their own experience of them. Rushing maps and claiming to map around faults - that bit is subjective. I went for 2 remapping sessions and one was faster than the other - not with Duncan BTW. Was the shorter one an issue ?

Can you see how murky this all gets ? I am just playing devil's advocate above. I am not suggesting that something hasn't gone wrong. But what people do is hear one piece of bad news and then the guy is tarnished completely with this one hiccup. Though upsetting for the "victim" agreed, it can damage people's reps forever.

In answer, the people I know are not well known engine builders. They help the Legacy group with their motors, stripping and building engines. It doesn't really matter who they are, as such, as bad news stinks and good news is blessed. All I am saying is that I have not seen a bad word about the guy until here. But then, the UK Legacy bunch perhaps are a sheltered group, in that respect.:biggrin: A few twins to single tubby conversions fuel maps have been overseen by Duncan - no issues there. But maybe the breadth and depth of his work hasn't been seen. 

3 hours ago, Scooby1972 said:

I no of someone who went to pick up there car after Duncan had mapped it at a local garage and it wouldnt start and someone else was brought in to sort it aka Andy Carr who i only here good things about....i dont think you can ignore peoples view like piggsniffer as he,s telling his experiance and that would defeat the object of the forum ?but if you hear a lot of bad experiences from people they cant all be wrong and again if you hear a lot of positives of tuners etc i would generally go with that as we are all here to help each other get a good service and avoid any crap we have gone through with bad work 😎just my 2 cents 😂

People - I accept that bad news has to spread about bad reputation. But as long as it is just 5 people in 1000 because then it comes down to misfortune, rather than the mapper being bad (or any business person being bad). Whilst you are in the middle of the disaster, you think this guy can't be for real. If it costs you, you then have an open case against him.

But looking objectively and outside the box, think of all the people who use this guy - probably 1000's - and it is much like what the last posters have said. There is good and bad in everyone. You would hope the good shines through, as a mapper, and certainly on your car. But there is risk attached because we are not working with spring chicken motors here, often.

People who are bad at their job don't stay in business long. That is a fair old moto. You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't be bad all of the time to stay in this game.

• Like 1

Just like to point out to the mods on here that ......

860aefd07c86177767cb76e1a2c94509.jpg

Wayyy before I posted anything on this thread [emoji39]

I'm self employed and know that earning a good rep is hard but keeping a good rep is even harder . I've been trading for 17 yrs and now win jobs without pricing them and have customers that wait 3 months for me due to my rep .

That wasn't earned overnight it was years of training and experience coupled with effort and attention to detail to achieve customer satisfaction .

Duncan started off in Suffolk on my local forum teaching himself to tweek open source software 6 yrs later a few people still swear by him on that and many other forums.

I used him to road map my esl'd v3 uk about 4 yrs ago . His client list wasn't as long back then and I couldn't fault his customer service for coming back twice in 2 weeks, to tweek the map to sort cold start idle and a eml that come on at full boost .

Was my overall personal experience good ? Unfortunately no , a dyno 3 months later showed that it was over fuelling badly and bore washing [emoji53] .

I haven't this posted this on any forum before as he's mapped plenty of scoobies since and probably has learned a lot along the way .

Why does there seem to be a bit of a marmite mapper rep for him ?

I think the lack of technical background winds the big boys at 22b up . After all the likes of ...

jgm (rip ) had a part in mapping the euro fighter [emoji41]

Pat now works for ecutek helping them develop software .

Andy f used to sell his own turbos and his gc8 beast speaks for itself.

And they all been in the game for over a decade plus .

I dare say after getting most of jgm's client list plus his existing customers he's really busy atm . If he's ever unfortunate enough to read this thread I'd say he needs to get someone to reply to unhappy customers and get the issues resolved asap.

As even if something goes wrong with a job I do ,i put it right before moving on to the next paying customer .

• Like 3

No need for apologies bud [emoji106]

Were all on here to share our experiences and help each other wherever possible.

Obviously opinions will vary on taste , styles and preferences and we can only really give advice based on our own experiences.

You'll get good and bad opinions on here regarding various tuners ,hopefully then people can make their own decisions having known both sides .

Rather than a !Removed! slinging storm lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

I dare say after getting most of jgm's client list plus his existing customers he's really busy atm . If he's ever unfortunate enough to read this thread I'd say he needs to get someone to reply to unhappy customers and get the issues resolved asap.

As even if something goes wrong with a job I do ,i put it right before moving on to the next paying customer .

Yes, I respect that. Maybe there is some technical lack of knowledge here as well. I don't know the guy. So if some of you think I have an agenda here to support him, I certainly don't. 

I am not speaking of people here who have posted in this thread - but let me introduce something from other threads and forums I have seen. Let me also place my experience in to show what happens, rather than regurgitate someone else's experience.

I took my Legacy to SRR and Charlie thought that there was a bit of det on the rollers. So I fixed with a mapper to have it set up again, as the car hadn't been mapped for 5 years and, perhaps foolishly, I thought that was the issue. It wasn't the issue and the mapper told me that he couldn't get enough fuel. He also told me to tread lightly as it was good for blowing up.

That was entirely my fault. I should have got a fuel pump long before I had. I learnt my lesson there and then!

Now I could have been a bit disappointed with the outcome. Let's say in all this disappointment, somehow (not quite sure how), I misinterpreted what he said through not listening properly. My car was on the line for some serious issue, even though I had seen him.

The alternative thing that could have happened was that I listened to the instruction but once I got home, life had broken loose and getting a fuel pump plus another remap 150 miles away was not the high priority right now. It gets forgotten. Now I have an issue with the Legacy.

This, folks, happens. Today's priority becomes tomorrow's "just something else to do" or "something forgotten" or "something not understood clearly". Then you read disastrous posts of Scoobies blowing up and the blame game starts. That is not a reflection on anyone posting here - it is what I see time to time elsewhere. We're all human after all. The mapper is banging out instructions whilst we are driving at break neck speed and we are supposed to be taking on board what's wrong. It's quite a human thing to forget the issue or the sincerity of the issue when being told.

I have witnessed this happen. Someone started slagging off a company, telling us all how bad they are, don't touch this with barge poles, incapable bunch etc etc. Next thing, the company turns up on the forum, bit miffed about all of these negative posts, naturally, and starts to explain their view of the situation. Now everything is murky because what the claimer was saying wasn't quite as true as first made out.

Anyway, I don't know this Duncan nor have I any experience of his work. As said above, it is a shame that

A ) he doesn't come on here to defend his position or

B ) if there is some wrong doing, correct the issues some of you have had 

• Like 2

Tbh I struggle to put a point across in text , it doesn't look like it will always read the same way as originally intended in everyone else's eyes after I've posted something.

I try to look at things from from all angles before making a decision and try to make my own judgments based on my own experiences.

Saying that i do feel like i need to clear a few points up now too lol .

The 22b boys know far more than me about running scoobies ,that was only MY opinion why he's not on there much Not fact .As I've only ever posted on there a couple of times in the tech section when I'm stumped on something . They've always been been nothing but helpful and I no nothing of their opinion .

I also don't know if Duncan has any previous technical experience before he started tweeking on the local forum.

So I'm definitely not saying that he's not capable or experienced enough . Or do I wish to sway people away from using him . It was more (another) opinion ,put across using constructive criticism to make a solution. As I've found Keeping the customer in the loop, even if it's to tell them your to busy to pop round yet , goes a long way in business.

I haven't got any personal issues with my esl map years ago . Although everything on the engine ,fuel system ,exhaust system , tmic ect had been refreshed . The turbo and fsh piston slappy engine were on 94k mls .

I now know The extra engine noise (piston slapp) when cold could have well tricked the ecu into thinking its reading heavy knock . I'd imagine that it would add fuel to lessen the chance of knock and the engine eating itself .

my current apexi ecu reads very high knock numbers due to the noisy race spec Mahle pistons but when on the dyno no knock is heard .

Best bit of advice I could give to anyone thinking about getting a remap would be.....

Do a full service ,

make sure it's running right "as is" (no misfire, holding back ect )

book in a remap on a dyno .

fit any mods just before going to the dyno .

take your standard bits with you in the boot (if you've fitted mods)

They should do a run "as is " when you get there (if no major mods have been added) this should show up any issues that might need sorting before upping the boost .

Remap on the dyno with afr ,boost ,hp,flbs on a printout .

Road check at all throttle positions to tweek gear load and tps .

Then Generally if the engines in good nick and the dyno graphs are right you'll have the right results which ever respected tuner you choose imo

• Like 2

Gordon at street racers in syston, leicester is really good and knows what he's doing. Again very hard to get hold of due to being very busy. I know he has map sessions booked in Europe too so he's off there every couple of weeks. He's on fb