More Power?

CraigXV

Very interested in this, I've been looking high and low for a reputable chip or a tuner that knows what they are doing with the Boxer diesel for a while now.

I actually don't think the car is under-powered and find overtaking to be pretty non eventful, however If i could get a bit more poke and perhaps some more mpg i'd be very happy.

If you find somewhere decent between Newcastle and Edinburgh maybe we could arrange a group Map?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3998684/2010-subaru-impreza/

I always end up looking at this guys build and being amazed at the work they put in. 
Was an original gen 1 diesel i believe so they snapped at least one crankshaft, but i've been told the XV's have had no reported issues which is nice.

yes I did see an increase in mpg a bit

but it was pulling power and overtaking gains that impressed me

mine was done at Yorkshire remaps and these guys were excellent, professional in every way even made me several cups of tea lol.  I would have no issues recommending them 

downloaded map, sent off for individual re map ( not a generic copy ) and re uploaded new map when sent back

then took me for test drive in my own car which does put a big smile on your face..

very very good price too :-)

hope this helps and is of use :-)

Scan.jpg

On 23/03/2018 at 3:33 PM, Dug said:

yes I did see an increase in mpg a bit

but it was pulling power and overtaking gains that impressed me

mine was done at Yorkshire remaps and these guys were excellent, professional in every way even made me several cups of tea lol.  I would have no issues recommending them 

downloaded map, sent off for individual re map ( not a generic copy ) and re uploaded new map when sent back

then took me for test drive in my own car which does put a big smile on your face..

very very good price too :-)

hope this helps and is of use :-)

Scan.jpg

Might look into this, the extra power could be handy for  towing

• 2 weeks later...

No performance tune with me but I had the ecu revised to smoothen out variations in the bph/torque curve (at least that’s the best way I can explain it). Result is an engine that runs noticeably quieter yet with the same performance and slightly better mpg. All cars in the family (since 99)  have had this treatment, essentially you’re optimising the software to run with the hardware (again, best way I can explain it) all with similar results. Another benefit is that the more efficient engine seems to produce lower emissions (judging from the last measurements) and puzzled looks from Dutch MOT mechanics in the past 😉. According to the company who did the work (and gets hired by F1 teams I was told), a more efficient running engine reduces wear and tear as well.

cheers!

14 hours ago, marcothio said:

No performance tune with me but I had the ecu revised to smoothen out variations in the bph/torque curve (at least that’s the best way I can explain it). Result is an engine that runs noticeably quieter yet with the same performance and slightly better mpg. All cars in the family (since 99)  have had this treatment, essentially you’re optimising the software to run with the hardware (again, best way I can explain it) all with similar results. Another benefit is that the more efficient engine seems to produce lower emissions (judging from the last measurements) and puzzled looks from Dutch MOT mechanics in the past 😉. According to the company who did the work (and gets hired by F1 teams I was told), a more efficient running engine reduces wear and tear as well.

cheers!

Diesel or Petrol engine?

• 2 weeks later...

Booked in with Quantum over the weekend and managed to pop along to a local(ish) garage last night and get the map put on the car.

A very straight forward procedure, with the exception of the car not wanting to communicate via the OBD2 port while the Battery booster was up at 14V, once lowered to around 13V the ECU started to communicate. Strange, but true. He downloaded the Original Map, sent it off to Quantum, and shortly after they returned it. He Loaded it onto the ECU and away we went.

The fitter asked when the last oil change was done (Friday Night) said to keep on top of oil changes as the turbo will be working harder. - seems like reasonable advice.

Drive-ability seems the same as before, no weirdness to report. Definitely has a little more go to it, and pulls a bit more from lower down. I've not been brave enough to go full hooligan yet, but will keep you updated. I've reset the trip computer to compare my fuel consumption over the next few miles. If i can restrain from flooring it too much i'm expecting the MPG to go up.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Jay762 said:

I know x2 people who have used these chaps - specifically the Bristol franchise but they do come recommended plus have many options on location - will be getting my Vito done by them in Worcester

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

I am not convinced, mostly good reviews and a few bad including a Subaru Forester. Possibly best to leave the car standard.