First time buyer

Daryl

I got an owners manual recently, had quick scan through , the book says it covers alot of different models, I presume theirs some kind of key for your.model although I couldnt see one

Remember the tip that someone left about doing this. E.g. don't undo top one before you have drained it from the bottom, but make sure u can loosen both before starting. If the top will not come undone then you will not be able to refill it. I believe that was what they were saying (and makes sense) but i cannot be bothered to look through these posts.

16 hours ago, Siluro said:

Remember the tip that someone left about doing this. E.g. don't undo top one before you have drained it from the bottom, but make sure u can loosen both before starting. If the top will not come undone then you will not be able to refill it. I believe that was what they were saying (and makes sense) but i cannot be bothered to look through these posts.

That was me - yes that is true plus the additional piece that it lets air in really fast so if you are lying under it when you loosen the lower bolt it pours out a lot quicker 😁 

Got it done today gents bolts were tight as had use a cheater pipe an plenty lube got their in the end, next jobs stripping down the breaks not done it before but should be ok with the manual, any pointers would be welcome😁

Brakes are an easy but dirty job. If you take the disks off make sure the hub surface is spotless. The disk must set squarely onto the hub else you will get a warp. Ideally you should check for runout with a dial gauge if you want to be sure. I have seen countless vids on youtube and not one mentions this.

• Like 1

as above - plus take the opportunity to flush through with dot 5.1 fluid better temp performance and absorption tolerance than dot 4. Consider changing the brake lines if over 10 years old - even if braided. Use small pieces of rolled up paper towel to get fluid out of the bleed nipple before putting the cap back on. consider replacing bleed nipples with stainless steel items 

Anything to improve the standard brake setup. As Jay says dot 5.1 (not dot 5 as it does not mix and will eat your seals) and new braided hoses is worth the extra pennies. I think they cost me about £70 when I did mine. I upgraded the fronts to Brembo calipers (not sti) and 330mm 2 piece disks which totally stopped any fade which was horrible on OEM calipers. This was my first upgrade before I got her mapped. Good luck.

Cheers for the tips lads much appreciated, I've got a mate coming to visit from Cumbria in the next month, gonna wait for him as hes had track cars for years an knows a bit, theirs a sale on at gsf car parts upto 60% off so might just get it all ordered now👍. May aswell go on with the brake lines while I've got the help, easy enough?

On 1/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, Siluro said:

Lol it took me a minute to realise what a Tadger meant.

Haha tadger not heard that one for a while, another good one is wallaper as in that fella is a right wallaper 🤣🤣, got to love the scottish slang cannae beat it 👍

• Like 1

Try Godspeed brakes and take a look. Please don't go cheap on brakes. I would get 1.5 litres (if I remember correctly) for a flush. Do not let reservoir run dry when flushing and bleeding. Top it up as u bleed them.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:58 PM, Siluro said:

not dot 5 as it does not mix and will eat your seals)

This is very important as Dot 5 is silicone and does not mix well with some components, predominantly more modern stuff (used a lot in pre 50's classics) - worse case I heard of was seals swelled effectively seizing the pistons in the calipers - result no brakes!!

On 1/11/2020 at 3:33 PM, Daryl said:

Found 5.1 on opie oils only 500ml though

There is a reason for that - once open exposure to the atmosphere means it will start absorbing moisture. Two bottles will be enough but if you get 3 and you only open one at a time so your waste is reduced and you have some for the future.

Opie Oils Miller 5.1 use the SUBOC discount code for 10% - sorted 👍 (I used Shell for years as I trusted it with my bikes - now use Millers where possible as a UK manufacturer)

Bendix don't they make washing machines lol. The only bendix parts I have put on a car was a french car which seem to shed parts as you drove it. I guess that tells you something. Bendix and the word brakes would worry me.