The Forester Turbo

Rick 2014

^ My names Paul, glad to be of help.

Coilovers are a bit of a pet hate of mine :-S

Likes of BC are ok on track & can be made work on the road but are not as good as quality struts for street use.

Your cusco kit is quite well built but design is poor as is the spring rates for road use.

You may get lucky & find lower rated springs works out ok but you may need compromise ride height as if the rod has say only an inch of bump travel before out of stroke then you need raise it to help, other option is shortening the rod but that starts getting expensive :-/

You want to measure & mark rod for maximum extension & compression & then you can see what travel you have at set ride heights & work out what can be done !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished off piping my intercooler up today in the freezing cold weather and fitted my induction cone.Ive got to change the bend yet from the compressor housing to intercooler pipe but its more or less there.Slowly the jobs are getting done its the weather holding it off.

photo-4.jpg

• Like 1

I tested the Forester on the way to work this morning.There is a huge difference with a front mount and you can hear the induction cone sucking like !Removed! on the induction cone lol.Im not to sure if I like the sound or not to be honest lol

Bit of an update.Fitted my uprated pump,also sorted out my snapped studs as well for the sender unit.Ive ordered some thermo heat wrap for my intercooler pipes for front mount.And ive heard from the Cusco UK dealer about the springs.Its gonna set me back about £250 which isn't cheap.Im gonna shop around for some longer springs with a softer spring rate because  when I had my coil overs on and I tried to put some height on the coil overs the springs was getting really short and had no bounce which wasn't good

Just measure spring diameter then use likes of online suppliers such as rallynuts to see spring range length/rates available.

2.5" coilover springs should be around £35 each mark if shop around.

Ideally need current spring rate/length & work out what extra length you can accept as don't want spend out & not get a workable result.

• Like 1

From what I can work out Paul my old springs should have been 7inches when not compressed but there more like 6 and 3/4 inches lol.Ive been doing some reading on these springs and  technicaly my 7 inch springs should be something like 5 inches when compressed which is not a lot but because my springs are tired mine are more sitting like 4 and 3/4 so there is no room for bounce.Im gonna be looking at 9 inches which will give me something like 7 inches in real terms.The only thing is I can only find springs with a rate of 75 lbs being the lowest

Mmm 75lbs/inch is very soft helper spring, that is about 1.5kg/mm

You want something like 4.5kg/mm or 5.0kg/mm front with around 3.75, 4.0kg/mm or 4.25kg/mm on rears.

Do you know what rating current springs are !?

Before fitting you need mark strut full droop & mark rod for full compression then when fitting & setting ride height you can see how far off the bump stop you are as if not enough compression travel left you will be on the bump stop once carry passengers/load.

rough chart guide below on kg to lbs

kg/mm to lbs/in
----------------------
8.0 = 448
7.5 = 420
7.0 = 392
6.5 = 364
6.0 = 336
5.5 = 308
5.0 = 280
4.5 = 252
4.0 = 224
3.0 = 168
2.0 = 112

Mmm 75lbs/inch is very soft helper spring, that is about 1.5kg/mm

You want something like 4.5kg/mm or 5.0kg/mm front with around 3.75, 4.0kg/mm or 4.25kg/mm on rears.

Do you know what rating current springs are !?

Before fitting you need mark strut full droop & mark rod for full compression then when fitting & setting ride height you can see how far off the bump stop you are as if not enough compression travel left you will be on the bump stop once carry passengers/load.

rough chart guide below on kg to lbs

kg/mm to lbs/in

----------------------

8.0 = 448

7.5 = 420

7.0 = 392

6.5 = 364

6.0 = 336

5.5 = 308

5.0 = 280

4.5 = 252

4.0 = 224

3.0 = 168

2.0 = 112

Hi Paul ive no idea what my spring rates are on the ones I have.

Measure internal diameter of your springs, should be 62-63mm for 2.5" standard coilover springs.

9" length sounds good even go to 10" if your strut has enough travel range on the body to make them work.

link below with some springs, shop about as may save some cash.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/suspension-steering/coilover-springs/faulkners-race-springs/2-5-inch-i-d-coilover-springs

• Like 1

Measure internal diameter of your springs, should be 62-63mm for 2.5" standard coilover springs.

9" length sounds good even go to 10" if your strut has enough travel range on the body to make them work.

link below with some springs, shop about as may save some cash.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/suspension-steering/coilover-springs/faulkners-race-springs/2-5-inch-i-d-coilover-springs

Ive also got to take into account my helper springs and camper plates.I may have to compress my spring to get all this on.Because at the minute ive no need to lol

I'll send you a tub of Vaseline & a strip of leather to bite on ...

Most worthwhile things in life require some unpleasantness at first :-)

I know this well ;) whilst dressed as a school boy and being asked who's been a naughty boy.