Just wondering if anybody on here has put tgv deletes onto an ej257, the only reason I'm asking is that I read, and it says in the description of some , that it could cause cold start issues.

I remember when I got the my build done I did mention them to Alan j , but he said they don't do it on the 257 , but a part of me thought that could've just been because the parts weren't available . But I see Roger Clark now has 257 specific tgv deletes now. ( previous models would work but they would need modifying , I assume the 257 has slightly different fixings on the heads )

So really what I'm asking is that anybody fitted these to a modern sti , and have you had any issues with cold starts or idol, I'm hoping to get mine mapped again later this month or next month so I'm kinda hoarding parts ATM, these are on my list , but if I'm going to get starting issues I won't bother .

any input would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

their is a few videos on youtube of people doing this mod to their hatch mate,but mostly in usa.i have thought about this before as well and from what i read is you will need a remap straight away and on really cold days you may have to give car a bit of revs to help it as they work like a old style choke.mrtperformance youtube channel is a good channel to watch,from austrailia but worth a watch

Yes I've seen the videos of how to derestrict / remove them yourself , but roger Clark do a sexy black billet set now although quite expensive . it would be much easier to just swap them over the day before remap, the cars my daily so I can't really have it off the road for the length of time it would take me to do the derestriction myself.

But you don't think I will run into any reliability issues

how much are the deletes from roger clark.the RCM ones are what i read most have used but their not cheap either,here link to them 

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/store/product/163-rcm-tumbler-generator-valve-tgv-delete-kit

no i dont see you having any reliabilaty problems,keep me informed how you go with this 

:laugh::laugh: just realised their the same ones you was talking about :laugh::laugh: 

What is the reason you want to do this mod? Is it to get more power if so how much extra bhp will this mod give you,will it give you enough bhp to make you think yeah money well spent.if so then i say yeah get it done,but if its only going to give like 20bhp then i would say is it really worth.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Wont cause cold start issues (they were removed on my hawk). I'm not sure why they would give any bhp increase though. They are only closed on cold start so unless they stay closed they arn't going to make much difference. Unless they are basing it on removing the bar that stays in place?

I quite sure a restriction in the intake path like that is going to reduce power those rods take up probably about 10 % surface area let alone the butterfly's so a 10% better flow should equate to a power increase although 20hp is quite optimistic

What is the reason you want to do this mod? Is it to get more power if so how much extra bhp will this mod give you,will it give you enough bhp to make you think yeah money well spent.if so then i say yeah get it done,but if its only going to give like 20bhp then i would say is it really worth.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I really looking just to optimise everything I've got I spose it like running a bigger bell mouth down pipe it's just going to make the air flow more efficient I'm sure you will notice a difference in drivability I hope and with a map , just want to get everything done tbh

I just found a good how to guide on another Scoob forum seams quite I'm depth , hope I'm aloud to post here , here's the link if anyone's interested

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165948

Also here's some faqs regarding tgv deletes it's estimated approx a 10 hp gain https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663677

19 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

I just found a good how to guide on another Scoob forum seams quite I'm depth , hope I'm aloud to post here , here's the link if anyone's interested

Also here's some faqs regarding tgv deletes it's estimated approx a 10 hp gain https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663677

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant figure out where they got the hp gain from. all the tgv deletes i find they talk about custom tune (in the US flash maps are the norm), which will always see gains over a standard map or even a flash map. Also seems to be they combine it with egr deletes and other bits and bobs so isn't just a tgv delete.

Not saying it wont improve things, but i take what comes out of the US with a pinch of salt most of the time rather than actual fact. Did you find any threads that were before, during and after the tgv was removed?

22 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

Might work out cheaper to just buy some stickers for the scoob. I got 13hp just from my forum window sticker.

it's been proven that each sticker adds 12.65749bhp, 

• Like 1

I cant figure out where they got the hp gain from. all the tgv deletes i find they talk about custom tune (in the US flash maps are the norm), which will always see gains over a standard map or even a flash map. Also seems to be they combine it with egr deletes and other bits and bobs so isn't just a tgv delete.

Not saying it wont improve things, but i take what comes out of the US with a pinch of salt most of the time rather than actual fact. Did you find any threads that were before, during and after the tgv was removed?

I believe from the r and d figures posted but manufactures , also yes all figures are after a tune because the car will limp out if you don't turn the fault off , but 10 hp I feel is a believable gain and remember when manufactures post these gain figures that may well not be peak hp gain that could well be in the midrange , also one would think on a higher tuned car like my own you may well see a greater gain than on a stock car , so it's all swings and roundabouts really

35 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

Just done some more research it says give up to 6 hrs installation time :/ , I know their a pain in the backside but 6hrs is a long time , does that sound right to you guys ?

Not far off at a guess, manifold off to get at which isn't a simple job in itself.

46 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

I believe from the r and d figures posted but manufactures , also yes all figures are after a tune because the car will limp out if you don't turn the fault off , but 10 hp I feel is a believable gain and remember when manufactures post these gain figures that may well not be peak hp gain that could well be in the midrange , also one would think on a higher tuned car like my own you may well see a greater gain than on a stock car , so it's all swings and roundabouts really

Yeah one of the things i read said gains vary depending on tune level.

mines V5 so 98-99, TGV came in 2001 hehe

1 hour ago, kershaw-330s said:

Just done some more research it says give up to 6 hrs installation time :/ , I know their a pain in the backside but 6hrs is a long time , does that sound right to you guys ?

I would rather take my engine out again than try and do this with it in the car, I attempted it once and bottled it lol