Tidgy's project Type R

Tidgy

• 3 weeks later...

So bad news is there's a bit of a delay :( box is ready to go, well its actually in the car but that's as far as it has got, drive shaft's etc aren't connected yet. Parts are being a pain. Seem like its only torretto that can get overnight parts from Japan :(

5 speed and 6 speed use different design drive shafts (male vs female) so you have to use a spline to convert one to the other. Unfortunately that's whats being waited on. Parts are on back order and not due in till this coming week at the earliest :(

New clutch is in (twin plate competition clutch) and that's as far as its got which is a bit of an !Removed!.

But this is sat waiting ready to be fitted :)

Front%20mount_zpsywomyrp7.jpg

• Like 1

Nice choice tidgy [emoji41]

I think the shafts on the 6 speed change at late 04 plate .

I got my conversion stub axles from icp but had heard that you can just pop out the stub axles from a 5 speed and use those .

Dunno if that's true but it might be worth a look to save the £80 for new ones 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neil said:

That front mount don't look that big in the picture, the thing is massive 

haha yeah.

Good to meet you on sat dude, glad managed to figure out best route to go with yours. Need to a get a project thread going.

14 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Nice choice tidgy emoji41.png

I think the shafts on the 6 speed change at late 04 plate .

I got my conversion stub axles from icp but had heard that you can just pop out the stub axles from a 5 speed and use those .

Dunno if that's true but it might be worth a look to save the £80 for new ones 😉

yeah that's whats on back order. Already on way so its just a case of how long till they get here

I got sucked into reading it from start to finish as well haha! Put a follow on it. Looks a mint build. Wish my wife understood...she thinks I'm going through a mid life crisis...I'm only 27! I've just always loved me cars! 😂 Keeps saying I'm never just happy with what I've got 😒 Where's the fun in that! 😉

Where are you sitting now then? Did I read you're going to put a hawk DCCD in? Car looks nice though, shame about all the engine issues though. Bet it cost a few pennies!

P.s if you're old turbo is gone completely and can't be rebuilt I'll gladly take it if your hands instead of throwing it in the wheelie bin!

• Like 1

Haha :D hope its an enjoyable read :)

Type r's already have DCCD, so its just a like for like swap basicly. 6 speeds come with or without DCCD, hawk box has the right ratios (bear in mind i;ve gone from 2.0 to 2.5) and retains the DCCD (which i wanted to do).

I think it got chucked on the scrap pile up at clinic im afraid. I can ask if they have any though, fairly frequently get duff turbos in

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

Haha :D hope its an enjoyable read :)

Type r's already have DCCD, so its just a like for like swap basicly. 6 speeds come with or without DCCD, hawk box has the right ratios (bear in mind i;ve gone from 2.0 to 2.5) and retains the DCCD (which i wanted to do).

I think it got chucked on the scrap pile up at clinic im afraid. I can ask if they have any though, fairly frequently get duff turbos in

Ah, gotcha. I've got a lot to learn about the Subaru world. Makes sense. I prefer the 6 speed as well, although I would of thought the 5 would have better ratios. In saying that my hawk goes through the gears pretty damn quick I must say.

Pretty clued up on older EG/EK Honda's though if anyone ever needs help 😂

Oh aye, if you can! Been wanting to make a lamp out of one for my smoking shed (cigars!) but am having trouble finding blown ones!

5 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

:laugh::laugh:

made me chuckle!

Haha yeah that make me laugh too 😂

Have used 5 speed and 6 speed and whilst it felt 1st + 5th/6th in both was the same the ratios in between were closer on the 6 speed so it felt the engine was spinning up faster as it was easier to drive out of corners etc. 

20 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Ah, gotcha. I've got a lot to learn about the Subaru world. Makes sense. I prefer the 6 speed as well, although I would of thought the 5 would have better ratios. In saying that my hawk goes through the gears pretty damn quick I must say.

Pretty clued up on older EG/EK Honda's though if anyone ever needs help 😂

Oh aye, if you can! Been wanting to make a lamp out of one for my smoking shed (cigars!) but am having trouble finding blown ones!

Haha yeah that make me laugh too 😂

The differing ratios work better on different engines depending on gear change points and so on, I onyl had this explained to me the other week when i was looking at what ratios to go with, i'll try to explain but i may be waffling haha.

To start with you need to look at the differences with the engines, 2.0 is a more revy engine, so typically nothing happens till 4-4.5k rpm and pulls up to 7.5k on a jdm sti, so its typically a slower spooling setup and pulls harder higher up the rev range. 

2.5 prefers to have low down load and produces alot more torque, so tends to pick up from 3-3.5k (varys depending on setup of course) but once you hit 6.5k it tends to drop off the power band. The extra torque the 2.5 produces can mean if the ratios are too short, the turbo will never make full boost because the engine is pushing hard enough so that the turbo can't fully spool before it runs out of revs. aka you end up with 3rd gear pulling harder than 2nd gear.

A shorter ratio means your loading it at higher revs so suits a 2.0, where as a longer ratio will building load lower down the rev range and suit a 2.5.

So that said the choices i had were, 

1, UK Hawk 6 speed DCCD, ratios designed to work on a 2.5

2. JDM 6 speed gearkit DCCD, ratios designed to work on a 2.0

Given i'm running 2.5 and its already kicking out 380ftlb at 3.5k on the dyno (road is quicker spooling than on a dyno), that figure is only going to go up with the boost increase, so short ratio gears won't be as critical because i will be changing gear more than on power if they are too short hahaha.

Hope that makes sense lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

Have used 5 speed and 6 speed and whilst it felt 1st + 5th/6th in both was the same the ratios in between were closer on the 6 speed so it felt the engine was spinning up faster as it was easier to drive out of corners etc. 

Depends on what 6 speed and what 5 speed.

Makes sense.

36 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

That would depend on which transmission and engine you have as Tidgy just said. From what I understand, the blob JDM DCCD has shorter ratios in 5th and 6th than a blob UK DCCD. All down to the gearing and the engine like Tidgy said, 2L JDM needs longer ratios because it revs higher than UK, which has shorter ratios.

Right?

7 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Makes sense.

That would depend on which transmission and engine you have as Tidgy just said. From what I understand, the blob JDM DCCD has shorter ratios in 5th and 6th than a blob UK DCCD. All down to the gearing and the engine like Tidgy said, 2L JDM needs longer ratios because it revs higher than UK, which has shorter ratios.

Right?

JDM is shorter than UK yeah.

But ratios are more about where it delivers power

Good to meet you to, they seem good people and really know their stuff. just emailed them for some more information, well while it's in bits I may as well have a peek down cdb road :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Good to meet you to, they seem good people and really know their stuff. just emailed them for some more information, well while it's in bits I may as well have a peek down cdb road :biggrin:

Haha why not? Lol

Your Mrs is gonna think I'm a bad influence hahaha 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sandals said:

Do you want an engine to go along with your intercooler?? :tongue:

That thing is foooking huge!

where would the fun in that be? intercooler for the win baby!!!! hahahaha

yeah, didnt seem that big in the box pic,,, hahahaha