Holy MPG Batman!!

Sandals

I'm reading the thread on the Gtr forum now lol it's basically full of uncertainty but apparently Shell still officially state it's 99 Ron mainly just speculation on there tbh

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/399578-shell-v-power-not-99-octane.html#/topics/399578?_k=bakviz

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

I think the problem with supermarket fuel is consistency as its bought on price , whereas if you buy v power or bp you know it should be the same every time

V Power or BP fluctuate as well though,  don't they? They're just 10p more per litre for the additional 2 octane numbers/additives they add in that supermarkets probably don't add in.

It all about the ethanol content and loads of this but bp and Shell make the fuel to a certain grade for their pumps whereas asda have no idea what's in the fuel they're selling you . Do you not remember a few years ago asda had a bad batch with a weird additive in that ruined everyone's lambas and cats

p>

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

It all about the ethanol content and loads of this but bp and shell make the fuel to a certain grade for their pumps whereas asda have no idea what's in the fuel they're selling you . Do you not remember a few years ago asda had a bad batch with a weird additive in that ruined everyone's lambas and cats

p>

Don't remember that if I'm honest, but I've only been here about 7 years. What that article says though is that all the fuel is made to a certain grade. Yea, obviously the higher octane the better, but there's nothing "wrong" with say, a supermarket 97 RON compared to a 97 RON from Shell. Anyone could have a "bad batch" unlucky for ASDA.

At any rate, going to go for the BP Ultimate from now on. Will inform of results 😊

4 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

I might try swapping to a more premium fuel to see if i can get more MPG out of my tank after reading this. 

I normally use Sainsbury's standard Unleaded because i drive past on the way home and its the cheapest. But if i see a goods increase in MPG from some higher octane stuff then it may be worth it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Don't remember that if I'm honest, but I've only been here about 7 years. What that article says though is that all the fuel is made to a certain grade. Yea, obviously the higher octane the better, but there's nothing "wrong" with say, a supermarket 97 RON compared to a 97 RON from Shell. Anyone could have a "bad batch" unlucky for ASDA.

At any rate, going to go for the BP Ultimate from now on. Will inform of results 😊

No no no. Stay with v power or tesco 99. Don't risk your engine.

If you can only get 97 that's fine but I would recommend a map for the fuel you are using, that would ensure reliability it's just I know on mine it says on the filler 98 octane only, which is great as we dont have 98 over here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, david1972 said:

I would be pushing 280-300 if I let mine get low enough for the light to come on emoji54.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2L compared to 2.5? I usually get around 220ish normal driving. I'm putting it down to cold weather burning the fuel a bit quicker and also letting the car warm up for a few minutes on these cold mornings (was -3 here in Newcastle this morning!)

On 02/04/2016 at 5:59 PM, Jamie_uk said:

Completely standard 2.0 Impreza hatchback, surely can't have similar mpg to some of the cars here?

Traffic jams I saw it go to 11mpg :(

round the doors 27mpg

Running it round backroads 23mpg.

Driving to London at 70 on cruise control 36mpg. 363 miles to that tank. 

But find the computer is about 3mpg higher than it is everytime.

With my similar Impreza 2.0 RX, I have averaged 34.8 mpg over 19 months. This is mostly local commuting, B and unclassified road driving with the occasional long trip. I start getting twitchy when I get to 350ish as the the garages here are few and far between. I also find that the computer is optimistic.

• Like 1

What's it like for hills your way? The grounds rarely level here which doesn't help. I got 34 in the south. But it's slowly creeping down bit by bit.  And motorways is now 30mpg even cruising. Gonna have a tinker see if I have messed something I did up.