Holy MPG Batman!!

Sandals

Very nice!

Update, needle is just below half a tank and have covered 203 miles. So at the moment, it's looking to be about the same before the remap which is pretty good, extra boost and better AFR has cancelled each other out mileage wise.

That is very good!

I did blast it home this morning... guy in an Astra was trying to race me, he only caught up by speeding through 40 zones... So when i got onto the motorway, I embarrassed him, hopefully it didn't have a huge impact :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got my 06 STi...£63 to fill up from very low down into the fuel light (nearly ran out on way home! He forgot to put some in and in my excitement I forgot to stop and put it in! Used Sainsbury's Super Unleaded (97?) which should be ok...I hope? Only managed to get 55L in it. I don't have a Shell local to me (would be massively out of the way to go to it) or a Tesco's nearby either. Haven't noticed any issues yet, got on it twice yesterday for a short burst and lost about 1/8th of a tank...20miles in...my wife's gunna kill me 😂

19 minutes ago, Sandals said:

V-power and Tesco 99 is the best as it's the highest octane rating, should be OK with 97...

Yeah, obviously makes sense. Pretty sure 97 octane will be fine as that's what 93 octane is in the US and I'm pretty sure all the US guys use that and not "race fuel" (97 octane from the pump, very difficult to find at garages).

2 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

Yeah, obviously makes sense. Pretty sure 97 octane will be fine as that's what 93 octane is in the US and I'm pretty sure all the US guys use that and not "race fuel" (97 octane from the pump, very difficult to find at garages).

Remember that American cars will probably have a different tune on them. Might be a good idea to get it on a rolling road to get it checked and maybe tweaked/tuned

1 hour ago, Sandals said:

Remember that American cars will probably have a different tune on them. Might be a good idea to get it on a rolling road to get it checked and maybe tweaked/tuned

They do have a different tune. Same exact engine as the Type UK, but the UK is 20hp less than the USDM versions. If USDM can run on 93 US (which is like 97 UK) I would assume the UK can run fine as well?

59 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

No no no no no no!!!!!

On an a wrx or sti 99 ron only!!!!!!!!

Why? It's running fine on the "Super Unleaded" from Sainsbury's? 

10 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

American Ron is calculated differently to ours. You can't compare us93ron to uk95ron.

Quick bit of further reading suggests that us93ron is equivalent to uk99ron. They combine AKI and MON

Yes mate, I know it is. 93 RON in the US is made with the AKI and MON. Therefore IS 93 is UK 97.4 aka Super Unleaded.

Here's a conversion chart that uses the formula's:

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

Plus the ECU should in theory read and compensate for the different octanes by retarding the timing and lowering the maximum boost output, even if it is slightly worse. Sticker on fuel cap says use Super Unleaded only. Like I said, seems to be running like a champ at the moment. Obviously if available and near by I'll put the 99 octane in...

American Ron is calculated differently to ours. You can't compare us93ron to uk95ron.

Quick bit of further reading suggests that us93ron is equivalent to uk99ron. They combine AKI and MON

Yes mate, I know it is. 93 RON in the US is made with the AKI and MON. Therefore IS 93 is UK 97.4 aka Super Unleaded.

Here's a conversion chart that uses the formula's:

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

Plus the ECU should in theory read and compensate for the different octanes by retarding the timing and lowering the maximum boost output, even if it is slightly worse. Sticker on fuel cap says use Super Unleaded only. Like I said, seems to be running like a champ at the moment. Obviously if available and near by I'll put the 99 octane in...

Thought I'd share it with everyone [emoji5] It's very easy for the unaware to look at the two numbers and think US fuel is **** compared to UK. Much like a US gallon and UK gallon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

Thought I'd share it with everyone emoji5.png It's very easy for the unaware to look at the two numbers and think US fuel is **** compared to UK. Much like a US gallon and UK gallon.

Exactly. And I would assume as most US owners would put 93 Octane in their cars (which is 97 octane here in the UK), then it should be completely fine for us to use super unleaded (which again, is the 97 octane). 😊👍🏻

The American cars will be tuned to run on their grade/quality of petrol and atmospheric conditions.

Obviously the lower octane rating, the greater chance of knocking... and I think knocking can lead to ringland failure(?), which is something the 2.5's are known for.

I still think getting your car mapped would be a good idea, at least then it will be tuned specifically for the petrol etc.

Obviously using 99 RON is the best idea

• Like 1

Just now, Sandals said:

The American cars will be tuned to run on their grade/quality of petrol and atmospheric conditions.

Obviously the lower octane rating, the greater chance of knocking... and I think knocking can lead to ringland failure(?), which is something the 2.5's are known for.

I still think getting your car mapped would be a good idea, at least then it will be tuned specifically for the petrol etc.

Obviously using 99 RON is the best idea

For sure. The UK has quality fuel though, and the ECU should automatically compensate for it if I've read that right. For sure obviously 99 is the best, but if the situation arises (like my little fiasco with my excitement forgetting to fill up! Haha) I don't think it'll do too much harm to put in the super Unleaded 97.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seminole81 said:

For sure. The UK has quality fuel though, and the ECU should automatically compensate for it if I've read that right. For sure obviously 99 is the best, but if the situation arises (like my little fiasco with my excitement forgetting to fill up! Haha) I don't think it'll do too much harm to put in the super Unleaded 97.

Short term? No...

Long term? Increased risk... good excuse to go out driving, find your closest 99 RON supplier!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

They do have a different tune. Same exact engine as the Type UK, but the UK is 20hp less than the USDM versions. If USDM can run on 93 US (which is like 97 UK) I would assume the UK can run fine as well?

Why? It's running fine on the "Super Unleaded" from Sainsbury's? 

Untill it dets out a piston and you need a rebuild.

Would you give your race horse crap corn?