Upgrade to DCCD Widetrack model or bigger turbo?

mfnick

As per the title basically. After opinion and some advice. 

Has anyone owned both a normal blob STi and a Widetrack one? Do you think the differences are worth the £2-3k it'll cost me to change my pre-Widetrack model for?  I'm well happy with mine and spent a fortune getting her to where she is but Im always looking longingly at the Widetrack ones...

But for about the same price/bit less I could also upgrade my turbo for even more poooowwwweeeerrr. What do we reckon chaps? 

Hey up mate, how you been? 

Had a very !Removed! few months, long story will explain when I next see you :wink:

Probably, but in a year or so I could have a 400 Widetrack. Which would be even better :laugh:. Plus the power game is usually a losing one, give it a few months and I'll be used to it and chasing 450 lol. Do really want the Widetrack to be honest, but it comes down to how much the DCCD and widetrack adds to the actual driving experience. Might be negligible and not worth it, especially after all the whiteline bits I bought for mine. In which case, turbo it is...

hmmm - given what you have invested already in your own motor - and you know what you have , peace of mind etc. Why not just get the bits that are missing, invest in the gearbox and wheels / spacers to give the girth?

What I do not know if it is an sti / wrx comparison eg different calipers, bearings etc?? - if not as above

in reality for 99% of people the widetrack and dccd means sod all to how it drives, to take it to the point where it makes a difference you have to be a very very good driver and more or less pro.

If i was going to do the change I'd look at a hawk Spec C

• Like 2

I'm not so sure, a mate of mine who had one could quite easily drift his on roundabouts (not that I'll be doing that, honest officer) and just get the back end to play about a lot more freely and controllably than in a standard. And he's nowhere near being a driving God  lol

If you fancy a change then I agree with tidgy and go for a spec c hawk , but I've got a bias opinion since I saw this one in the flesh on my local clubs stand [emoji7]

567d4ec7c42454f5438b0da24a239dd9.jpg

if you're happy with yours cosmetically and mechanically ,you can change the factory understeer set up with suspension settings to make the back end kick out first .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 2

No way I could afford a spec C lol. Plus I haven't got a drive or garage to keep it in which would be essential for that. 

They're only about 275 standard if I remember rightly. Or 305 with PPP. 

@david1972 only thinking of getting rid for a newer, younger model ;). With adjustable power train. After about £7k if you're interested... :)

• Like 3

On 24/02/2016 at 8:47 PM, savage bulldogs said:

If you fancy a change then I agree with tidgy and go for a spec c hawk , but I've got a bias opinion since I saw this one in the flesh on my local clubs stand emoji7.png

if you're happy with yours cosmetically and mechanically ,you can change the factory understeer set up with suspension settings to make the back end kick out first .

Stop showing this I've already masturbated today... Sigh looks like have to bash another one out now :blowup:

I didn't like hawks [emoji102] until I saw that one [emoji6]

If it's not oe it's been upgraded with somthing rcm and the bays far cleaner than mine [emoji15]

56202020f139d2cb72fddfdef70afd3b.jpg

Back to the op , have you driven one with dccd to make sure its worth the extra dough nick ?

I'm sure which ever route you take nick you'll still end up with a sweet motor .

Mine hasn't got abs ,airbags or air con (let alone dccd)[emoji53] but the light back end and stiffer rear suspension means it kicks the back out before the front [emoji6]

If you fancy a change then I agree with tidgy and go for a spec c hawk , but I've got a bias opinion since I saw this one in the flesh on my local clubs stand [emoji7]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it [emoji4]

Stop showing this I've already masturbated today... Sigh looks like have to bash another one out now :blowup:

Haha never waste a good boner ;)

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@savage - not yet mate. Looking at getting a couple lined up, but not exactly going to be able to drive one to its full potential on a rest drive really. I wouldn't let anyone else drive mine like thy to be honest.

I'm also looking into classic Type RA's so going to line some of those up too. Reckon that'll be the bigger difference. Just worried about rot on those.

I've also got my suspension altered to point where the back end comes out a lot easier and quicker bit it's still not as progressive, adjustable and controllable as it seems in a DCCD equipped one where the power sent to wheels is altered to suit.

• Like 1

I used to set the DCCD to minimum in the dry on my hatch when in sport# mode with VDC off as overall it felt more engaged and responsive to drive - so more about turning stuff off than distributing the power to the rear end

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, thanks for the input guys but I've decided to go ahead with this! I could keep spending money on mine but the way I see, no matter how much I spend on it, I'm always going to keep looking longingly at the DCCD models so I'll never be satisfied. I'd be better getting one and then saving up and modding one of those instead. 

A different conundrum has appeared since making this decision. Which to go for. 

Ive found a WRX that's been fully converted to a STi with DCCD, forged and using a JDM block - https://www.gumtree.com/p/subaru/-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-jdm-spec-dccd-fsh-450bhp-fully-forged-anti-lag-vi-pec-ecu-/1155391947

been speaking to the owner and he says AI Motorsport in Ireland did the work. Anyone heard of them? He's got the paperwork for the works too. And at that spec I don't need to do anything :). But it could be a lemon and not sure about STi converted ones, prefer the factory ones. Plus it's not widetrack, but as I've said I'm mostly interested in the DCCD. 

Next up, a JDM one - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/-for-sale-high-grade--impreza-wrx-sti-twinscroll-widetrack-jdm-dccd/4300715?v=b

better in just about every way to ours. I could PX mine here too instead of messing about selling privately. But am I right in thinking it won't have the burble since it has equal headers? I can't have a Scoob without the burble! But this could be easily sorted when I start modding it by fitting unequal headers correct? Or is the entire exhaust setup different with the twinscroll? Also will need a lot spending on it to get it near the performance of mine. 

Lastly - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603011545591?postcode=s62ba&price-to=11000&sort=atcustom&quicksearch=true&radius=80&page=5&price-from=5000&make=subaru&onesearchad=used&model=impreza&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

got to say I'm most drawn to this one. Proper UK STi on the reg I want. Has the most info in the ad, seems to be owned by a enthusiast. Lightly modded already so not a huge amount to do. Looks good. 

What do you guys think?