Remap Problem Update

cornish6544

Got my car back from Eurospec performance garage today i was told it was all fixed and it didn't have a misfiring problem anymore. The car is producing 300bhp as he mapped it with the engine age in mind but I'm very happy with 300. The car seemed fine on the drive home but as soon as i got on a dual carriageway and thought i would test out my new power i got to 80mph and the car started to misfire, i couldn't believe it i have been without the car for a month and spent over £1200 and yet it still has the problem.

This is the list of things the garage done to fix the misfiring problem

4 new coilpacks

Fit and wired AIT sensor the car now runs without the maf sensor

checked condition of cambelt

new spark plugs 

Only seems to misfire when the engine heats up or if you go over 70-80mph but he was able to map it so i have no idea whats going on.

Really don't know what to do now I've spent al my savings on this already and it still has the problem so i anyone has any ideas please share.

It is an actual misfire. and it isn't the new age coil packs he just replaced the ones i had with new genuine subaru ones but i just find it strange that it didn't misfire when it was of the rolling road as he got it to 300bhp 

Are the new plugs ngk heat 7's ?

Cos if they're ngk 6's or other brands that could also cause a misfire when hot .

Maybe he mapped it when it was warm (not hot) and probably in 3rd gear not at 80mph (on a private road )

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Eurospec are highly qualified i fully trust they know what they are doing they regularly feature in the Japanese performance magazine so i am happy with my choice of garage. 

Bulldogs- The spark plugs were all changed around 4-5 months ago but this was when the car had around 230hp. I don't know what spark plugs it has in it but they were put in by a regular garage so its a possibility that they might not be the right requirement for the power I'm running now. Also the fuel injectors i have are 440 yellows but they are second hand a might not be in the best condition i don't know if that can cause misfire problems or not.

Thanks for your help

The injectors may not all be spraying the same - apparently they can be really mismatched - it sounds like you have two areas to investigate prior to another garage session

• 2 weeks later...

Car is back at Eurospec now and they have said they don't think the injectors are the problem they said by the sound of the misfire it is a problem with the signal ? this is all starting to go over my head but he is looking into the problem and says the next step would be to fit new wiring it did have a name but I've forgot. 

Strange problem though because the car has been misfiring everyday this week when it goes past 70 or uses a lot of boost but today i got in to drive to the garage and give it one last go and it was completely fine it didn't misfire once and i got to 85mph and accelerated pretty quickly 

They're probably thinking its the igniter at fault which sits at the back of the boost solinoid bracket. It sends a high amp signal to each coil pack but you bypass it when doing a newage coil pack conversion . As the newage coil packs just need low amp in and convert that to high amp directly on top of the plugs (less wire to create resistance and loose spark power).

Unlike the classic coil packs which loose amps as the high current passes from the igniter and all the way through the engine loom to each coil pack.

If you're running over 1.2 bar the classic coil packs are probably on their limit ,as mine wouldn't stop missing @1.3 bar untill I did the conversion.

it's worth checking that the plugs are ngk heat 7's and that their gapped to 0.65 mm.

Also that the coil packs weren't over tightened on fitting .They have a tendency to twist if not held in position while fitting and this can cause cracking (even on new ones)

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Cheers bulldog but please don't tell me that i need to do the new age coil pack conversion as I've just spent a lot of money on 4 brand new coilpacks. They should be fitted correctly as the spark plugs should be aswell the garage did them because i was away.

Jeez dude, you having problems big time, hope that cures it, find it a bit hard to imagine it will as car should defo be hot when mapping I would have thought, fingers crossed  ! 

Ps , mine randomly pulled -9.75 degrees of timing today in the FLKC and dropped IAM to .5 then just went back up to 1 within about a mile, !Removed! cars lol