2.5 inserted short engine

happy hector

15 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

Yeah, I think I'm in for the long haul with this one, it's gonna take more than one Xmas list to get this done, but I want it right, I don't see myself doing a 6 speed conversion tbh, and I don't want any more than 400bhp, so hope a 5 speed can handle that ? I don't want to have the engine anywhere near its limit as I want it to last so 400 on a 500 build should be good I hope , I don't think I'm gonna need sti heads for that, I don't know if I'm gonna need new headers either, I will have to find these things out, brakes is defo a good idea tho 😳

Pretty sure the 5 speed is only good for 350... unless the WRX boxes got stronger with the hawk? Not sure...

• Like 1

You may have a valid point lol, when I said to the wife that I will take her car, she said "will it fit in there" yes I said, it's only this big (made size of shortblock with my hands) oh, says she, is that how big an engine is (knowing full well it's not) , no , says I, that's just the bottom end without heads and stuff....... Probably shoulda kept that bit quiet haha

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

Yep, that's what I'm reading mate 350 max 😕

Well, further down the road would probably be easier to buy an STI with a blown engine, stick your lump in it and off you go. Especially since the 6 speed conversion is around 2k

1 hour ago, Sandals said:

Well, further down the road would probably be easier to buy an STI with a blown engine, stick your lump in it and off you go. Especially since the 6 speed conversion is around 2k

Nope, changed my mind, it'll get a 6 speed as and when, the car only owes me £1200 as it stands, so if I throw 4 or 5 grand at it it'll be worth it, ok ....plan is.... Build engine to do 400, get it mapped to 325 ? Can they do that ? Or just get it mapped to 350 and be gentle, then save for a 6 speed conversion,  Can I put a 400bhp turbo on and have it mapped down and still drive nice ?, might have to sell some stuff to move it along :) 

55 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

Hawk wrx box is alot more capable that early 5 speeds, i ran one at 390/420 for 18 months/14k miles and know a couple running above 450 without issue.

I like the sound of that mr tidgy, looks like an 18g turbo will keep the torque down a bit while still giving up to 380,  been lookin at kinugawa turbos or mamba gtx2871

22 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Can't say from personal experience what their turbos are like but If you go for kinugawa turbo , I've got a 20% off code that needs using up before Xmas

Stay well clear, typical cheap turbo.