Gutted mot fail

ROSSCOSM

As my title says today has been a heartbreaker my wrx failed its mot on corrosion and emissions. Im considering selling it and saving up for an sti what do you think it is worth with no mot. It has sti bodywork and 108k mi on it opinions? 

• Sad 1

Lol bit annoying looking at the underneath and seeing he has poked holes all over it but i take it thats just how the test its sound. Tried to explain about the sports cat aswell be he said I guarantee if i cut it open nothing will be in it 🤷‍♂️ Soo gutted really enjoy driving it    

Thats a bit s**t mate but they shouldn't be poking holes in your car with a screwdriver the way it should be tested is with thumb pressure thats why the mot stations have a little rubber headed hammer, you can knock a hole in anything if you try hard enough and as for your sports cat i'm pretty sure he talking bs saying there's nothing in there, just out of interest where is it supposedly excessively corroded about 

• Like 1

Yeah stuart I think hes talkin s hit about the Sports cat aswell If anything the uppipe maybe failed it 🤷‍♂️,

its the sills, rear brake pipes and the front subframe but its the u shaped bit which im sure isnt actually the subframe but pointless to argue really,

yeah savage im now thinking I might just leave it off road and slowly work on it would be a good learning opportunity need to get under to take pictures so you guys can see if it beyond repair if i sell it ill just end up way another one 😂

U shape bit can be taken off and pass with it off (JDM's dont have them).

Sills is repairable (my dad has his done), brake pipes can be repalced without too much hassel.

Could get it retested at a friendlier place after the repairs are done, get some quotes for the repairs and go from there

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ROSSCOSM said:

Yeah I thought that with the u shape bit cheers man 

It's one of those daft rules. If its there it has to be in good nick, if its not, doesnt matter. It's there due to uk/eu crash regs so personaly i would get another one. Being a bolt on part its not a big job.

Part number might be different, but the video shows what to do etc.

Top man tidgy thank you im sure ive seen them on icp website. Feel abit better about it now just gonna take my time and try to get it back to its former glory i know for a fact if i sell it ill just end up buying another one anyway 🤣😂

34 minutes ago, ROSSCOSM said:

Top man tidgy thank you im sure ive seen them on icp website. Feel abit better about it now just gonna take my time and try to get it back to its former glory i know for a fact if i sell it ill just end up buying another one anyway 🤣😂

NP, how far you want to go on spending is totaly yup to you. there becomes a point where its just worth saying 'sod it' and trading it in against something else, that point is up to you and what you want to do,

Might be a good time to think about upgrading in all truth.

I just thought it would probably be a sub £500 fix for the stuff you listed .

So get the work done and take it to another less screwdriver savage tester , then if you still fancy a change in a few months ... sell it on or trade it in for a much higher value , then what you would get for it as a mot failure 😉

Sub £500 would be great man i could sort that no bother think ill start by getting the brake pipes sorted then can take it to get prices for the rot repairs. Its my birthday at the weekend so might get some money to throw at it 😆 

The U frame is for EU crash safety, while removing it can be answer from MOT perspective it can be a massive legal problem in an insurance issue in a accident that involves vehicle inspectors  .
They easy enough find used or buy new.
If removing it soak bolts multiple times with penetrating fluid for week or 2 in advance .

I assume emissions test values failed and suspects cat efficiency !
He can't fail a cat if emissions values fine just because he has assumptions on cat function ability .

For corrosion testing they have a test tool which looks like a flat  blade screwdriver with a small hard plastic hammer head with a flat end and round end for tapping suspect areas, the screw driver end is for scraping or prying only.
They also should not be excessively stabbing holes all over the place, you only meant make holes as last resort in concluding how bad it is .
Some MOT guys can make a right mess chasing down rust, you want find a better place for MOTs and keep using them as poor MOT quality is a annual nightmare, frustration and cost that best avoided .

Yeah it failed emissions it was fast idle co levels first run was 0.70 2nd was 0.29. Could it be the uppipe giving up that has caused that? The sports cat is only a couple years old
It might have been the tool you are talking about that he used I wasnt there im just sure he said screwdriver. Im not overly bothered about that but cause it would still be rotting even if he didnt poke it at least I know now.

Brakes pipes are easy to sort, emissions might come down enough if you take it for a good run and get it hot just before its due for testing,  the welding can always be sorted just depends how bad it is and how much time and money you want to spend 

• 4 weeks later...