Rollamite's 96 Impreza Sport Project

Rollamite

Carbs sound awesome on any n/a car but they need setting up on a regular basis, motorbike throttle bodies are a cheaper option in most ways, once set up they won't need fettling every hour and you can get better gains with them over carbs, the problem comes when your fitting to a flat 4,the inlets are a unique design and would need some serious custom fabrication, if I was lookingfor a cheap power option for an n/a impreza iI'd look at an emerald ecu/qpeng or any other stand alone ecu, then get a supercharger from a merc kompressor the M62, they are designed for 2.5l to 4.0l engines but I've seen them on 2.0 engines, they are cheap as chips on eBay, if you do want one, get one with the Teflon coated blades, they are the later more robust units

• Like 1

Okay well the bike carbs sound good to me but im not very mechanically savvy so it might be omething to look into, would definetely look into a closed deck can always get one and an ecu from Motorhog or eBay

Also what do you guys think to no spoiler? i actually quite like it, almost makes it a Sleeper car.

And im cool with an 8v, i mean its a bit !Removed! but i did find this? Do you reckon it may have already been swapped?

jntu.jpg
ok92.jpg

Thatcam cover pic iisn't clear enough, best thing to look at is the cam cover, on the left and the right side an 8v has one circular part each end, 16v has 2 each end

That pipe fits on the throttle body, the bit with the big rectangular box under the window, remove box fit pipe and voila

I would sort engine out first as it could cost as much as a new Scooby....... that blue wrx wagon as it's a better sleeper ;)  :D . wheel bearing and shocks are easy to change, do them at the same time and source hub with shock. do it at the same time less mess. 

nah its a jap engine it'll run even if it is !Removed! oil but if its cheaper just to walk away and get a 'less broken' one then i will, id love an STi lump if i had the tools and the know how :(

The hard part of building an impreza engine is the block, splitting that and getting to the pistons and crank is a pain, the rockers and heads are easy enough, rocker covers can be removed in situ, heads need the engine out, mines leaking from somewhere, it's making a mess of the drive but I used to own old vw's so I'm kinda used to that, the only pain is smoke from the scoops when I'm at lights

Not sure it would be any cheaper to repair the engine or get another car. I would look at it this way, the time you have put into this one and having another engine put in you know more about the car then buying a new one. But I would always look to see what is for sale 1st you never know could be a bargain with all the mods you want to do on the car for the same amount that it will cost to replace the engine, but a gamble again if the engine has not been looked after. I appreciate I've not given you a yes or no answer I think it's hard for us to say. Really you will have to choose what is best for you :( But either way I want to see pictures :D I will have alook in the week at some non turbos local to us I see a guy selling a Mc'Rae Replica non turbo near me wanted £1200 as a Buy it now. 

• Like 1

Going to keep it, i'll do the rockers when ive got the cash, or a garage can do it im at work a lot these days, saves buying someone elses problems, at lest when it comes to the mot i know that all of the important stuff will have been replaced with new or less !Removed! parts eh.  

On a lighter note, anyone link me to a good HID kit?

• Like 2

Hid kits are an mot fail unless you have the following fitted

Projector lenses for the hid to sit behind

Washer jets for theheadlights

Automatic suspension level sensors

Basically the sswitch you have in the car for adjusting the headlights when you have a car full, for hid's these need to be fully automated, an hid equipped car will have little hydro sensors on each suspension strut that notice the smallest change in car angle and adjust the beam accordingly, it's rare to get a copper to check everything but if the see there's no projector you can get fined, if you are getting a H4 kit make sure it's a hi/lo kit as the H4 bulb is low and high beam in one bulb, most hid kits don't offer that

I'm not 100% to be fair but if you don't have ABS but the hub has you should be fine, but not the other way round :( Did you see any ABS light on the dash when you started the car ? or like me not took any notice ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Right then chaps... 

Set of 4 struts £75 got the hub and bearing done, all in all cost £270

Dont worry though because i scrapped my old struts at the local scrapyard and mad a whole FIVE POUNDS, back on them haha.

Updates, still rolling like a true JDM sleeper taxi with no spoiler, still leaking oil just not as much, Battery acid was corroding my whole boot so ive stripped it completely cleaned it all up and have new boot liners etc to go on, literally punched my 6x9's out because some chav had screwed them to some MDF, so ive got a new parcel shelf, ready to reinstall with all proper wiring, a side skirt fell off... literally no clue as to how to use the rivet clips from eBay to reattach.

In the mean time, got some fbre putty for a badass hole in my boot leading to the wheel well and some FLi speakers which i installed today but were in hindsight too big and my windows wont go all the way down lol 

fwjk.jpg
ix1w.jpg
gxhr.jpg
u0mi.jpg
2fri.jpg
katq.jpg
cf45.jpg
la52.jpg
bs6e.jpg
ny33.jpg
l3wg.jpg
  • Like 2

Hello mate was wondering if you had given up been awhile ;) I made some MDF rings to pack mine out so I could fit them without the window catching the speakers only way I know how to get around it. And for the work you have had done that was a good price bearing on it's own cost's me £130 And yep that hole need's sorting out been eating away for awhile that :) 

I was going to say the hubs were a good price I paid £80 just for bearing then had to pay £60 for the press to get the thing out and went through a hub just getting the bearing out. one stud shot through the abs ring :blink: that's how I know hubs are easier to change.

• Like 1

Never give up, Godzilla, which seems to be the name generated at work and at home for my car being that its big green loud and japanese, wont die, just spent 3 weeks stationary because my rear wheel was hanging on a literal thread and i didnt have the stones to chance it home and back from the garage so they kindly let me leave it in the lot. Im not moaning about my windows, to be honest i leave them down so often when its raining and the water often pours into the door, at least the window is stopping that now, my last kenwoods that i pulled out were covered in mud and water so i may consider getting my carpentry on but it would only be in the pursuit of perfection. My fibre putty turned up today so i'll have a blast with that and i have a sill weld to attend to, my new parcel shelf will be here tomorrow instead of MDF so i'll reinstall my sony 6x9's, still no clue on the k and n filter am i suppose to leave the sensors on???

Haha Godzilla like it  :lol:

And if you wanted you could keep the shelf to make the rings for the speakers. But on the other hand if it stops you getting wet seats you might be right and better leaving them ;)

And with the K&N filter if you mean the MAFS yes that has to stay. When getting the cone it should come with a bit of pipe to attach it too.