Where to get new front brake pads from?

GGMan

Interestingly Subaru for 2020 was a poor year for UK and EU, really poor.  In the US they sold 612K cars.  Some of the headlines for the EU have stated with something like “despite a disaster in 2020” Subaru will remain in the EU market.

It does seem to me that the joint development of cars with Toyota might be the saviour for Subaru in the medium to long term. They would still need to differentiate themselves and give a much longer warranty, at least 5 years and better support logistics.

• Like 1

They sent the wrong ones.

Finally had some delivered later in the day after another wasted morning at the mechanics.

So back on the road with a set of new Michelin's too 

I must admit I'm looking around for my next car at the moment.

I know we’ve said it before but buying bits for the Subaru is a pain. Are the Michelin’s CrossClimates?

Hope it’s all sorted now for you?

I saw a MG HS PHEV today driving through Chesterfield, it looked really nice as we were behind and then along side we were able to get a good eyeball.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ernieb said:

I know we’ve said it before but buying bits for the Subaru is a pain. Are the Michelin’s CrossClimates?

Hope it’s all sorted now for you?

I saw a MG HS PHEV today driving through Chesterfield, it looked really nice as we were behind and then along side we were able to get a good eyeball.

I've actually been looking at a Cupra Formentor Ernie,some great deals on them at the moment and nippy little thing's

Sorry, I thought you’d indicated that you had some interest in the MG HS.  The Cupra is a nice car and is fast as you say, the RAV will manage 0-60 in 5.7secs but that’s not my real goal in moving on, that said it’s always useful to have a bit of ‘go’ if and when needed. It was strange to drive a big, heavy car and experience a push in the back when the peddle was pushed.

Glad you got the brakes sorted it will be interesting to see what you do when the time comes?

On 5/9/2021 at 3:51 PM, ernieb said:

Sorry, I thought you’d indicated that you had some interest in the MG HS.  The Cupra is a nice car and is fast as you say, the RAV will manage 0-60 in 5.7secs but that’s not my real goal in moving on, that said it’s always useful to have a bit of ‘go’ if and when needed. It was strange to drive a big, heavy car and experience a push in the back when the peddle was pushed.

Glad you got the brakes sorted it will be interesting to see what you do when the time comes?

I was,but I've decided,because of our caravan to have one more fun petrol car before I go full electric next time....by that time we plan to give up the tin shed and go for slightly more comfy holidays.

As such I've decided to bypass a plug in hybrid for the moment.

So,I've ordered the Cupra Formentor and delivery is September due to it being a factory order with a retractable tow bar etc.

By that time the xv will be three and ready for its first mot.

See what you have done Ernie,I've told my wife it's your fault!

coches-suv-motor_530707666_163385281_1024x576.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@kash0613

Looks great and I’m sure you’ll be counting the days down.  I think it’s far to say that we are doing our bit to help the economy bounce back after the Covid situation! 😄 is that the colour you’ve chosen? What finally decided you to move away from the Subaru?

My RAV is on UK soil and still due at the end of the month, fingers crossed. I went for a red body and black roof combination.

9FC82A41-EBBF-4E06-A759-15BAF035634D.jpeg

• Like 1

Loved the Subaru Ernie,but I planned to move on once it was three and I wanted more torque than the Xv could offer,esp as we tow with it now.

If there had been a Xv xt or similar out there I would have gone for one of those but as we know,Subaru's range is now extremely limited and their prices are high in comparison with other manufacturers,esp in terms of pcps and leasing..they just can't compete.

Plenty if time for me to carry on enjoying my time with the xv until the formentor is delivered anyway plus I'll hope to sell it to an enthusiastic Subaru driver when it goes 👍👍

To continue with this subject of brake pads, and also an update on the my rear wheel bearings which I did in a previous posting. I sent for rear brake pads from Germany through Autodoc GMbh. They cost £33.20 including postage and 'safe order' return. Thing is I wasn't sure how many bits were in the kit. The make is Metelli, Italian, which is better than Chinese.

They arrived today, and all there was in the package was 4 rear brake pads. although the inner shims were already fitted and maybe bonded on. Plus there was a general EU instruction how to safely fit brake pads in various languages. There were a lot of makes of pad to choose from in the Autodoc catalogue, so I picked the middle range ones, and I think the manufacturer is reputable.

So, although I have already got new pad clips for the rear. I will still have to source the outer shims for both sets of pads and clips for the front pads. Will follow some leads from this forum. If it's a Subaru main dealer I will probably pay through the nose. 

After my MOT last Friday it was confirmed that my rear wheel bearings were OK by the test centre. But they did worn me that my front pads were wearing unevenly and that my drivers side set was near to replacement. So I ordered another set of Metelli pads from Autodoc, which have an office in the UK called Auto Partspro. They cost £42.27 and will also be without the other bits required probably. I have only done about 3K miles since MOT 2020.

I have emailed Auto Partspro about offering a better service, but I don't know if they will reply or not.

Well that's me done with Subaru servicing. I was contacted by the dealer about having my final 5 years service and an MOT, but I haven't replied. Its not worth arguing with them, you can't prove anything only that the original rear wheel bearings are not stuffed. It's not worth continuing with the body rot warranty either, has it has to be redone on year 6 and will cost more than the cars worth probably.

RGS.   

• Like 2

@Rocket Gold Star you’ve obviously gone to a great deal of trouble to source and find alternatives and reasonably priced.  I figure the average car owner is not going to do that and will just have to rock up at the dealers and pay the man.  Wheel bearings and front pads seem to be a feature that crops up regularly.  I honestly can not remember having to think about issues such as these within the warranty period of the cars.

(Apologies for going way off subject during this thread)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, kash0613 said:

They sent the wrong ones.

Finally had some delivered later in the day after another wasted morning at the mechanics.

So back on the road with a set of new Michelin's too 

I must admit I'm looking around for my next car at the moment.

Glad to hear you got your sorted.

Mine ay garage trust and wrong ones come, now that said they order new ones but it's an extra £100, so price went from £150 to £250 for front pads and discs - still pondering if I should do it myself. (Still way cheaper than dealer who no longer doing Subaru. So closet dealer now is 32 miles away).

In the end and because during service the wear to my pads was completely missed,Subaru derby eventually sent out a set of the correct pads f.o.c.

I must admit the episode dented my faith in Subaru's famed dealer quality but at least they tried to make amends in the end.

@kash0613, I can understand the feeling but at least they some effort.  Confidence in anything is so hard to come by and so very easy to be lost.  I’m always amazed that some dealers struggle to understand that simple principle and always make life so much more difficult than it need be.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, kash0613 said:

The number of people who have asked me firstly what make it was and secondly that they had never seen one before!

Most people are very complimentary about it but it shows how crap the Subaru p.r system us here!

yup marketing is not great in the UK they do seem to be changing their target market though away from sport

Glad you got it sorted I bet your pleased it’s been a long and winding road?  The colour match won’t last long a few miles and it will be just brake dust. 

• 2 months later...

Well the Scooby's booked in again for it's brakes.....

This time they are knocking twice during braking at any speed.

The garage says that the pads fitted are slightly too small and moving under braking.

In addition my front left CV gaitor  has been nibbled by mice and needs replacing.

Unfortunately my new car has not yet been built and I don't get it until December.