Where to get new front brake pads from?

GGMan

Hi

Any recommendations on where to get front brake pads and discs from?

I had purchased from eBay and europarts for my 2018 XV but they were the wrong size.

Asked dealership for sizes and they refused and would not give Subaru part numbers either.

@GGMan,  Interesting that you'r looking for front discs and pads which sounds pretty early in the cars life cycle. But, when I had my cars second service they warned me that they might have to change the pads.  My reaction was that I'd have been surprised but interesting that they felt it necessary to pre warn me.

I'd probably look to the US for data as their version sells in big numbers.

It's one of the issues I have with owning a Subaru, the cost of ownership.  The services are expensive as are the OEM spares/ . When a tyre fitter damaged one of the TPMS sensors they said no problem they would pay for it but they could not provide it as it was a OEM part only, they were as shocked as I was that it was £120.

Hope you get it sorted, brakes are so important.  I'm du a third service and first MOT soon, I think I might get the MOT done independently prior to the service.

That's an idea

11 hours ago, Dr. Acula said:

I had the same problem with a JDM.

Solution, take one pad off, take the code from the back and crossreference it.

Right pads ordered.

Problem solved.

Just had mine MOT and passed but they did warn front pads are getting low.

Subaru wanted £450 to replace 1 front left pad and disc (disc limped as well but I am a heavy breaker).

Back ones are fine.

Might get a few quotes from garage's for parts and service - so if they are the wrong ones, it's there hassle, not mine.

MOT ATS for £25 in February 2021

Go here https://cv.don-brakes.com/online-catalogue/

should end up here https://www.brakebook.com/bb/don/en/PKW/107/10158/applicationSearch.xhtml

open brakebook, select your make and model, brake pads will be displayed as a diagram with dimensions, compare with current pads then compare with what's on offer at your chosen supplier online or motor factor, all should have diagrams and dimensions shown on their site or catalogue.

looks to me like there are two differing part numbers depending on engine code has a B suffix.

• 1 month later...

Had my 2018 Xv serviced(3 year) at the end of Feb at my main Subaru dealer in derby,no advisories.

Went to have four new tyres fitted at my local tyre fitters and they told me they had checked the front pads as they looked worn and told me they were in a dangerous condition(see attached photos)

They tried to order me a set bit the wrong ones came each time too.

Ended up complaining to the Subaru dealer who serviced it and I'm awaiting a set to come through the post to me.

In the mean time I haven't got a car to drive.

I didn't expect such poor service from a main dealer,surely that should have been picked up at it's service and I've done very few miles since.

So,I can basically confirm its difficult to get hold of the right pads.

It's knocked my confidence in Subaru I must admit.

IMG20210430104651.jpg

Sorry to hear you’re having so much trouble finding pads.  I’m sorry to bang on about it but it’s a problem of having a car with such low UK production problems.

My MOT a few weeks ago said I should monitor the brakes and when I talked to the tester he said I’d need to change them by the next MOT but they were OK in the medium term.  There looks to me to be 5mm+ of material still there.

Just hope you manage to get it sorted ASAP, I share your pain, good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Sorry to hear you’re having so much trouble finding pads.  I’m sorry to bang on about it but it’s a problem of having a car with such low UK production problems.

My MOT a few weeks ago said I should monitor the brakes and when I talked to the tester he said I’d need to change them by the next MOT but they were OK in the medium term.  There looks to me to be 5mm+ of material still there.

Just hope you manage to get it sorted ASAP, I share your pain, good luck.

No you are correct..I suspect xv's in particular which have such low volume sales in the u.k will be become a real problem in terms of spare part availability in the future.... especially as the number of Subaru dealers is reducing as time goes by.

I rather suspect this is my last Subaru as it stands.

• Like 1

Agreed, and it was only in 2019 that the new man at the head of Subaru UK was saying that they acknowledged that they had treated the UK Subaru customers badly and we’re going to target 10K car sales rather than the 4k which had been reducing over time. He also said they would add extra dealers and I believe they added 4 more over the last 2 years (Covid can not of helped).

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Agreed, and it was only in 2019 that the new man at the head of Subaru UK was saying that they acknowledged that they had treated the UK Subaru customers badly and we’re going to target 10K car sales rather than the 4k which had been reducing over time. He also said they would add extra dealers and I believe they added 4 more over the last 2 years (Covid can not of helped).

I've lost two local dealers since then,so I'm surprised some more have appeared somewhere.

@kash0613 I think your right I’ve been doing some searching and from what I can find in 2018 there were 75 dealers and in 2020 only 69. Interestingly in August 2020 Subaru UK sold only 34 cars but still are targeting 3500 per annually,  obviously Covid has had an impact but other makes seem to be suggesting good sales.

• Sad 1

Iv'e got a similar problem with brakes but they are the rear one's this time. It's a fairly long story in that my local Subaru dealer 'conned me' by saying that my rear wheel bearings were slightly worn after the last MOT last May. So I got a set of new bearings and various tools including a Hub Buster, in all costing nearly £300. 

I attempted to change the bearings last Wednesday, only to find there was nothing wrong with them at all. Also the only tight wheel nut on the RH rear wheel was the security one. The other 4 were well below the 120 nm spec for torquing wheel nuts. 

During the strip-down I thought it obvious that I would have to maintain the brakes, which I did after checking out a few YouTube videos. But I found that the brake pad shims were badly worn, on the inside shim especially. There are 4 shims to two pads. I contacted a local supplier and he said you couldn't get them separately. I did manage to get a set of rear pad clips at a reasonable price off the web, but they didn't seem to sell the shims. To me the shims probably need changing yearly looking at the state of mineSubaru Brake Pads Shims-Rear..pdf. Also the pads have only got about 3.5mm left after only 38K miles.

Does anybody know where I can get pad shims separately from the pad sets? I have attached a download from the manual Iv'e got. Look at paragraph 3).

Lastly I would like to say that I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped selling Subaru's in the UK, because of the issue of the cost of running them. It's about time some of you more enterprising guys in this club tried to set up a spares company for some of the Subaru parts. I'm too old and don't have enough experience of Subaru's.

RGS.   

• Sad 1

@Rocket Gold Star what a pain in the **** and £300 down.  That really puts you off the dealer a d I think we can all sympathise but in many ways there’s not much you can do except try to find another dealer.

I’ve had a quick look and can’t see anything like the shims you’re after so I think you’ll have to try to get a dealer to order them for you.

Maybe try, https://subaru-parts.co.uk or something similar, good luck.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ernieb said:

@kash0613 I think your right I’ve been doing some searching and from what I can find in 2018 there were 75 dealers and in 2020 only 69. Interestingly in August 2020 Subaru UK sold only 34 cars but still are targeting 3500 per annually,  obviously Covid has had an impact but other makes seem to be suggesting good sales.

The number of people who have asked me firstly what make it was and secondly that they had never seen one before!

Most people are very complimentary about it but it shows how crap the Subaru p.r system us here!

• Like 2