What are peoples opinions on this?

CLR7

IMPREZA RC 2.0D

I'm looking around for a diesel Impreza and came across this one but the milage, and what looks like a fair few stones chips on the front is giving me a bit of doubt what do you guys think? I'm just thinking after a year of use i'd have taken it over 100k miles, I know milage shouldn't be an issue if its been well looked after but would like to get the views of others.

Thanks

There have been a few conversations on the forum relating to the Subaru diesel product and its not great. Bearing failures due to misaligned gearboxes during manufacturing plus other stuff related to throttle valves and dpf's 

IMO if I was in the market for a diesel motor I would be looking elsewhere. One of the forum members picked up a Mitsi Lancer diesel and that has a VAG engine.

But that is just me

in all honesty if I was going diesel id be going german!

I had a E60 530d and in 2 years it cost me £55 for thermostats, that was it. and I only did that to increase MPG.

Merc offer some lovely diesels, and to be honest nowadays, you cant go wrong with a kia!

Germans own the diesel car market i would look nowhere else but thats just me

On the other hand ive got a peugeot boxer hdi and ive dun 30k miles in it and all thats gone wrong is an indicator bulb but my mates mercedes vito is constantly breaking down......

The early diesels suffered from, dpf problems, glow plugs that wouldn't come out, then snapping half off if they did work free, and most alarming snapped cranks, these issues seem to affect the euro4 type engines, the newer units appear to have had these problems ironed out,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's your choice ultimately mate. We can only offer you some friendly advice. You could find an example that's trouble free forever, or something that rips the heart out of your wallet.

I debated the diesel scooby route a while back and decided it just wasn't worth the risk. It's each to their own [emoji106]

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you [emoji3]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

It sounds like youve made your mind up mate and are waiting untill you hear the answer you want so

(Clears throat)

A subaru diesel is a brilliant option mate they used to suffer from afew issues but the year/model your looking at will definately have the improved engine in so if i was you id strike while the iron is hot before someone snaps up the car your looking at...

Better?

😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RpsChesterfield said:

(Clears throat)

A subaru diesel is a brilliant option mate they used to suffer from afew issues but the year/model your looking at will definately have the improved engine in so if i was you id strike while the iron is hot before someone snaps up the car your looking at...

Better?

😉

WOW, You read my mind, you sir are a genius!

But in all seriousness i'm kinda of hoping for a few positives as well as the negatives because lets be honest there are likes and dislikes and personal opinions on literally everything.

One guy could tell me they are the bomb the other could tell me it's a risk and so far i'm getting the latter which is fine but i'd like to know if there are a few positives.

Euro 5 is potentially better but they still not a great buy unless do lot of miles & longer journeys .
If you doing lot of short trip driving modern diesels are useless & not cost effective due to service & maintenance costs being high .
Lots of problems are possible and they all super expensive .
Emissions have killed the diesel reliability, we have an old pug 206 hdi90 before the dpf days and that close to 60mpg & never been a bother in 12 years.
If it had been dpf diesel would of been scrap by now with our constant short trip use.
If want try the diesel go for it if like it but do research on the subaru EE diesel & also check out car well including extended test drives on B roads, also worth getting a diagnostics readout of dpf regen & current soot levels .
Injectors, heater plugs, dmf/clutches, self reprograminng mode are all known common issues which can really strain an owner mentally & financially so have some paracetamol & spare £1,000+ on hand .I personally will not buy any modern diesel with dpf system as they are a ridiculous concept .

search diesel crank, glow plugs, heater plugs on here for more reading ...

• Like 1

Yeah i think its a case of taking a risk which i'm probably going to do to be honest and I personally think every second hand car is a risk, my mate bought a focus for £800 thinking he just had a reliable runabout 2 months later cost him close to 1k in repairs! I've had a 2004 BMW X5 3.0D for 3 years only thing thats ever gone wrong is the door handle failed, I also had a brief ownership of a Audi TT amazing condition 2 days later the alternator failed so i guess in swings in roundabouts. 

I do agree though that its either going to go smoothly or i'll be back here waiting for the "we told you so" :blush:

Lols, yeah it's pot luck for sure, I usually buy stuff cheap that needs a bit of spannering done, bit I will be f@£ked if I will ever buy another Subaru after the sh&it ive had with mine, all the things that they say can go wrong have, secondary air system, banjo bolt filters, **** in the avcs system I'm just ordering another oil pick up pipe as I've seen that they crack and fail, and to top it off had it mapped by a **** that messed that up too and ain't sorting it out, got overboost issues when colder temps too now 👌