What did you do to your XV today???

Dug

47 minutes ago, Deso said:

Doing some interior work.  Decided to wrap the aluminum look trim pieces in my XV.  Its pretty easy and looks much better.

20190826_135517.jpg

Nice, have you seen the chrome delete posts at the beginning of this page. There is some goid stuff there how to do it, me and a couple of others have done it, I don’t have my subaru now but it looked quite aggressive with no chrome.

there is also info on changing badge colour too, I changed mine to white 

C6E3410C-BCD4-421C-BB05-051A18CE5F7F.jpeg

I did.  I just started to do some custom touches.  Deleting the chrome is definitely in the to do list.  Going to paint the chrome on the grill a gloss black and change out the badges.  The chrome just doesnt look good.  Thanks for the suggestion!  The black with the white looks really nice!  I have the orange one so hoping the black will look good on it

I did.  I just started to do some custom touches.  Deleting the chrome is definitely in the to do list.  Going to paint the chrome on the grill a gloss black and change out the badges.  The chrome just doesnt look good.  Thanks for the suggestion!  The black with the white looks really nice!  I have the orange one so hoping the black will look good on it
Can confirm, orange with black looks better than orange with chrome.
I actually ended up doing mine first with Halfords plasti dip (it looked OK, then chipped badly) , then again with carbon wrap, it's held up much better and looks good imo. ce44ae5c3024fbeb327b5f6be3ec4dc3.jpg

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Very cool!  I actually thought about wrapping it with carbon wrap at first but saw one with gloss black and really liked it.  Yours looks really nice!  I like how the carbon look doesnt stand out so much unless you get close to it.  The black wheels goes well also.  Nice job!  Ill post some photos when its all finished.

• Like 1

Very cool!  I actually thought about wrapping it with carbon wrap at first but saw one with gloss black and really liked it.  Yours looks really nice!  I like how the carbon look doesnt stand out so much unless you get close to it.  The black wheels goes well also.  Nice job!  Ill post some photos when its all finished.
Looking forward to seeing what you do.
I also used the carbon wrap on the roof bars as I thought the black silver looked a bit odd. It's still on, but didn't stick too well, luckily my cross bars mostly hold it in place!

16 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

Can confirm, orange with black looks better than orange with chrome.
I actually ended up doing mine first with halfords plasti dip (it looked OK, then chipped badly) , then again with carbon wrap, it's held up much better and looks good imo. ce44ae5c3024fbeb327b5f6be3ec4dc3.jpg

Halfords plastidip is rubbish, the proper stuff is much better and hardly any more expensive, had it on my XV for about 3yrs I r something 

I did nine with proper Plasti-Dip, followed the instructions on Dip-my-car on Youtube with Fonzy (honestly not even joking, the guy is called fonzy), didn’t even have to remove anything from the car, all sprayed in situ.

i preferred this way because it looks like the surrounding plastic, like you bought a different grille, plus the rear badges are a piece of cake using plasidip

EF061A01-343C-4CEE-A722-D7A81D1A6A0F.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ernieb said:

they look so much better than the standard chrome finish.

I’ve done the same thing with my replacement vehicle using plasti-dip. I bought a Ssangyong pickup just to tow the caravan about as the XV wasn’t really up to it due to the dual mass flywheel but the Ssangyong had chrome everywhere.

not any more, took me about 3 hours to do all the badges and logos, side strips and grille etc.

I swear by Plasti-dip

6123AAD0-70E7-4785-A89B-1AF11D4E7568.jpeg

It does.  Its a little bit textured but its smooth.  Feels nice.  I also painted the silver trims around the ac vents to a gloss black.  Overall, im happy with it.  Also finally got the grill done!

20190913_162104.jpg

20190913_162054.jpg

15684063760433350576680456775838.jpg

15684064118473266507213114912038.jpg

That may be a good solution for the alu looking paint on the door cards ect. The paint has worn off parts of mine and it doesn't look very nice.

My 2.0D has broken a cast part of the exhaust 😱 

I'm waiting to hear back from the main dealer if they will fix it under warranty as it's a cast piece that failed. I am 4 days out of the three year nose to tail warranty...

has anybody had this happen to their Diesal XV ???20190913_173432.thumb.jpg.32389a859238b8b6e17fc93fb318da02.jpg 

20190913_173510.jpg

20190913_173413.jpg

20190913_173358.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I took my 'new' XV, fresh off the carrier the day before, out after some detailing / cleaning yesterday. We just have the most amazing scenery and coastline.

IMG_1538-2.thumb.jpg.b37d0d422f2eb0028a45a9efb0148953.jpg

IMG_1539-2.thumb.jpg.273c7f573ff45ce835ad6e9dc0a5aaef.jpg

IMG_1551-2.thumb.jpg.717ca39064d01e1f0d443a3840ff6cf6.jpg

Given I've only just taken delivery I've been 'getting to know' my XV and detailing / cleaning. Here's the left rear wheel off to clean underneath and get to inspect my new toy.

IMG_1552.thumb.JPG.5fc8b8a7b89c8b7e922306799fe457b4.JPG

Now that its clean I can 'polish' Teflon sprayon.

IMG_1556.thumb.JPG.fb18cc4ec74f14d3354194e9597d50a8.JPG

And having cleaned both sides of the road wheel / rim time to put it all back.

IMG_1560.thumb.JPG.ecf04bae3a00b2620ef61d33472446f2.JPG

I'm loving it !

• 1 month later...

Yea.! What's this nonsense about gate posts jumping out at the last minute ? I mean like what ernieb says gateposts just ain't what they used to be. Obedient and stationary!

Got to be on the lookout for them like the big 5. :laugh:

• 4 months later...

Installed my dash cam today,thought it would be a nightmare but was easy in the end.

Mounted on the upper far end of the passenger side of the windscreen,then fed it through the rubber seal,down the the glovebox,under there and then inside the centre console trim into the centre console box where the 12 volt socket lives.

Just a basic nextbase 112 but it works really well,turns itself on and off when starting and stopping and has a knock sensor too.

IMG_20200330_155753_zpsvc1pahzq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The plan today was to swap the front wheels across, however the Battery was flat. All I got was a couple of laboured cranks before it died. Turned out the interior lamp was on (I must have knocked the switch on Wednesday when I chucked my coat in the back), plus a couple of starts yesterday whilst investigating the air con issue wouldn't have helped.

My jump leads self-destructed a few years ago and the booster pack was flat, so had to put it on trickle charge for a few hours. Finally swapped the wheels across just before 3 after starting the job at 9.

Time for 🍺 now

I now carry one of the lithium ion Battery packs, small but very effective.  I not, as yet, had to use it for my car but has worked very well on a couple of neighbours cars during the winter. I just keep it under the drivers seat it remains charged and ready to go for ages.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:48 PM, ernieb said:

I now carry one of the lithium ion battery packs, small but very effective.  I not, as yet, had to use it for my car but has worked very well on a couple of neighbours cars during the winter. I just keep it under the drivers seat it remains charged and ready to go for ages.

Great idea,one of my neighbours lent me theirs when my son's corsas Battery was flat recently (again)....couldn't believe such a tiny device could boost it so well.

Ordered one myself as a result.

• Like 1

Put the car on charge again, although this time I'll leave it until I get home from work tomorrow afternoon to let the Optimate get it nice anf full.

Those little booster packs defy all logic! I think it is time to get one to keep under the boot floor (current booster is a bit bulky.) Which ones have you got?

I purchased mine from Amazon a couple of years ago and that model is no longer available.  It’s 18000ma with 800A peak starter current.  It can charge phones etc., and spec’d for up to a 5ltr car?  It was about £85 but to me worth every penny for the peace of mind and sits easily under the drivers seat with loads of room to spare. I’ve started a neighbours 2ltr automatic in the middle of winter with snow and ice all over the car.  I firstly tried a standard 12v Battery jump starter I had in the garage it did not even turn the engine over.  The Lithium Ion starter was then tried, the car did not hesitate but fired first time. I brought in the other day as I’m hardly using the car except for the weekly shop which is only a few miles away and I wanted to be sure it would be fully charged if I needed it.  Plugged it into a USB port and it started to charge but was complete in less than an hour so has held the charge remarkably well.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Ernie! Knowing the rating has been a great help! 👍

The XV has been on charge now for nearly 30 hours and the Optimate is still indicating "Charge". I'm assuming the alarm is draining quite a bit so having a decent booster pack available will be a comfort. Amazon Prime "recommend" one that is good for a 7 ltr engine (!) for £90 so I may go for it as it should have no problem with our 1.6 and 2.0 cars!

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted (well, more like plonked on the dash) a solar charger.

With the XV not getting used much and having found that it uses 80 mA when parked, I decided to go for a charger over a booster pack (for now, at least.) It wasn't the cheapest, but the others I found only came with a 12 V accessory plug or croc clips. As the 12 V sockets are off when the car is locked, and I didn't fancy running lead out of the door and then under the bonnet for the croc clips, I went for an AA branded panel that comes with a plug to charge the Battery via the OBD socket.

It claims 4.8 W, so should be able to cover the current drain and keep the Battery topped-up. The panel is huge (approx. A3), but sits fairly well on top of the instrument binnacle, with just a duster underneath for precision alignment.