What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

It's been a 'bad' day with the OB today 😞

First I found the automatic tailgate had mysteriously opened up itself on the drive this afternoon (no keys in my pocket, or similar) and I still don't know why.

Then, driving home from the pub (no alcohol for me  -  😇) it was the first time I had the headlights on proper.  A 'less than wonderful (to get thru the automatic edit); experience.  Yes the LED are like star-trek lazers, don't I know it, and so did all the other drivers coming towards me, flashing me and no doubt hating my guts.  Even on low beam, they were dazzling on-comers.  I pulled over to see if I could manually adjust them only to find they're flippin' automatic (but not so flippin'; clever it seems).  I have been searching Subaru threads to see how to adjust the 'automatic' headlight levellers - Jeezzzz!

Also, the High Beam Assist is rubbish!  Why?  Well for starters the super bright headlights bound back off every clean road sign and caused the headlights to dip onto low beam.  So when driving along a twisty B road into a tight bend, the lights reflected off the black and white chevrons on the direction signs, jumping them down to low beam, just when you need to see where you're going.  Whether the high beam then could be bothered to come back on again seemed totally random, leaving the unlit road, just like that - partially unlit.  Same thing happened along an unfenced moor road, with the lights bouncing off the red and white reflectors on every snow pole along the route. To be fair, sometimes the HBA couldn't be bothered to come back on high beam again so we were at least saved the strobe effect from when it randomly decided it could be bothered to light the night's sky between poles.

Sorry - rant over.  Not a 'appy Bunny 🐰

8 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

Wow - thats sounds awful! I wonder if the beam can be adjusted by the sensors under the car front and rear - different length bars maybe to change the angle less?

Thanks Jay.

Checking out a US forum I found that when the cars with auto-levelling headlights are being transported on the back of a truck or similar, it can thrown the auto adjusters out.  Apparently, they are supposed to self-adjust 'after a period of time', of driving, with the time not being specified. 

There's a memo from Subaru to dealers telling them how to sort this which involved messing around with fuses and the like, and running through a routine of switching the lights on and off with ignition and off and so forth.  But also, helpfully, this video was posted too  Auto Self-levelling headlight adjustment - manual  which shows a 2020 OB.  If the problem persists (i.e. doesn't magically sort itself out) I'll have to give this a go, or call Subaru assist and let them get their hands dirty. 

• Like 2

My experience of owning many diesels is that they need to be driven a lot to avoid issues with DPF and EGR.

I never had issues with the 10 diesel cars I owned between 2007 and 2016, but my cars were doing between 50 and 200 miles a day so I can't ever recollect seeing a DPF light on.

If the car appears to be running ok I would suggest a nice long motorway drive which may do the trick, perhaps a dose of Redex in the tank before you do it might help.

If not it will be a case of getting the DPF and eGR valves checked for issues.

• Like 1

Quick engine oil change then had the back end up in the air for its annual rusproofing top up, these days i spray the usual suspect areas with ACF50.

Just got to swap the wheels over to the winter set, probably late November, and its all ready for winter duties.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from another overnight 'wild' car camp in the Outback.  One of the reasons I bought the car was that, with the rear seats down flat, it allows me to stretch my full 6 feet easily (take the rear seats headrests out, reverse them and put them back in again to make a platform for a pillow).  Sleeping bag and bedroll - sorted.

Also, as most car campers will know, having the rear hatch open for extended periods is often necessary, if only to lounge in the back, with the nose of the car pointing into the wind, and take in the landscape while quaffing a brew.   As I'm often stealth camping in areas with no phone signal, I don't want to get stranded with a flat Battery.  So I tried this

Rear Hatch OB Battery Drain Fix

and it works! To be fair, I've no idea if my car has had a fix for this known issue (it's still a reported problem on the Gen6 OB so maybe not).  So....I'd be grateful if someone could see if it's still an issue with the late Gen5 OB and save me the hassle of being stranded/needing a jump start... 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New rear pads and discs plus swapped out one rear drop link, then a wash down with the Dirt Busters cherry snow foam i recently bought to run through my pressure washer dispenser, which does a cracking job.

MOT Tuesday.

Passed MOT, advisory on split rubber on front drop link, got a pair on order.

Just thought you'd like to know how bad the emissions are to justify the £575 (£10 dual fuel discount) VED cost this year,  CO 0.00       HC 16ppm out of an allowed 1200.

18 hours ago, Judd said:

Just thought you'd like to know how bad the emissions are to justify the £575 (£10 dual fuel discount) VED cost this year,  CO 0.00       HC 16ppm out of an allowed 1200.

Yes it is a flawed model that is for sure - a well maintained car running decent petrol can have very low emissions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just slipped its spring engine oil change in, just over 3000 miles since the last change, that's probably the highest mileage between oil changes any of our cars have seen in our ownership, slapped my own wrist.

Fuchs 5w40 full synth again if anyone's interested.

The front drop link (MOT advisory for split rubber boot) was a doddle to change, came undone without issue, can't say the same for the rear one which i had to cut off with the angle grinder.