a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

Had a issue with the actuator not holding boost and causing issues controlling it but I did bring a few spares n tools .... 

Its getting hot after all the part throttle pulls ,so spot of lunch and let it cool down a bit before tweaking for power🙄

He did do one pull at 19 psi and it seems that this turbo is gonna out perform the old one 🤞 full boost just after 4k, 332.2 hp at the flywheel  and just over 290hp at the wheels . Seems to spool well for a 20g so far 😉

20190913_124224.jpg

Well the actuator and time stopped play at 332.2hp at 1.4 bar 🙄.

Well impressed with the turbo and with a stronger spring fitted , we're confident it will make more boost and power 😎.

After fitting a weaker 0.6 bar spring mid map we found out I'd put too much pre tension on the actuator arm ,first time around which made it very difficult for the avcr to control boost .

So hands up , it was my fault 🤐.

Attowe did manage to control the boost fine up to 19 psi (just under 1.4bar) so the boost curve is much cleaner now than the previous graph . I will eventually fit a stronger spring but can't see the point in getting just that tweeked in, so will wait until the new year once the heads are fitted and get it all done at once . For now its running safely and pulls cleanly,  for a big billet wheeled 20g it spools fairly good imo too .

Right I've drunk all the milk ,so I'm off to take the scoob for a blatt...  I mean get some more milk 😊

20190913_153351.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well japshow seems like a distant (soggy) memory and the scooby is now sorn for the salty season. 

Did take it out for a final blast before it went into hibernation 😊

as I know I'm going to miss it ,due to not having the bug sti as a daily anymore and now having a boring a4 20t petrol for a winter hack 🙄😏

The engine has done nearly 60k since I built it and is due a cambelt kit soon , so although it's fairly easy to do the cambelt institu  ....

I did buy those v4sti heads to refurb over the winter 🤔

So might get those done over the winter, pull the engine early next year and see how if it snowballs into a bottom end refresh 🤔🙄🤪😊

So seeing as I won't be driving it for a while , I took some pics of the inside for a change lol 

20191109_150332.jpg

20191109_150305.jpg

• Like 1

You know me stu ... I do like to fettle 😊

It's not just a car , it's a hobby for me . After all ,I just stare at walls for a living (plasterer) so I need something to keep the grey matter awake and my idle hands busy . If I'd have spent £1000's on a cossie reversed inlet ,avcs conversion,  a md or od turbo . It would've been finished ages ago and I'd have nothing to do lol .so these always something scooby to do 😊

The info available on the v1sti's engine spec is a bit vague, as they were hand built at sti (instead of on the Subaru  production line) and some people say that you could "spec" them when ordering  . Although I don't know how much truth is in that and haven't researched it , cos it's not applicable to most my engine, anyways .

So I couldn't resist the v4sti heads ,as v3/v4 sti have the most aggressive cams they put in classics 😉

I've only unwrapped of the heads and haven't even put the winter cover on the car yet . But I'm already thinking at least a baffled sump and a new set of mahle piston rings might be in my xmas list 🤔 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Falcongary said:

Wow👍👍👍what a good job just love to have the time and the knowledge to do mine good job mate👍👍👍👍👍

Cheers , chap 👍

It's only taken about 7 yrs so far and although the over all cost probably mounts up (don't tell the wife lol ) , most of it had been done on a relatively tight budget. 

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

You know me stu ... I do like to fettle 😊

It's not just a car , it's a hobby for me . After all ,I just stare at walls for a living (plasterer) so I need something to keep the grey matter awake and my idle hands busy . If I'd have spent £1000's on a cossie reversed inlet ,avcs conversion,  a md or od turbo . It would've been finished ages ago and I'd have nothing to do lol .so these always something scooby to do 😊

The info available on the v1sti's engine spec is a bit vague, as they were hand built at sti (instead of on the Subaru  production line) and some people say that you could "spec" them when ordering  . Although I don't know how much truth is in that and haven't researched it , cos it's not applicable to most my engine, anyways .

So I couldn't resist the v4sti heads ,as v3/v4 sti have the most aggressive cams they put in classics 😉

I've only unwrapped of the heads and haven't even put the winter cover on the car yet . But I'm already thinking at least a baffled sump and a new set of mahle piston rings might be in my xmas list 🤔 

I hear you fella, i'm the opposite to yourself as i fix hgv's every day so sometimes i just get a bit sick of looking at engines, gearboxes and all the other parts that go with it but i do still love tinkering with the scoob when i have the chance and i haven't had too heavy a week at work and my old bones aren't aching haha 😂😂, i've decided to put the repair panels for mine on the xmas list and the mrs says she will get the arches for me which is nice of her 👍

• Like 1

I did used to work on cars full time but I started to hate mechanics ,while working on other people's s##t boxes .

Don't get me wrong stu ,there's still some days when I want to "flick a match" at the scoob though 🤬😂

Being a plasterer for the past 19yrs and being hit twice from side impacts while driving...  I literally feel your pain ,when it comes to aching bones somedays 🙄.

Well as for the v1sti today , while the battery was on charge, I gave it a heavy coat of wax and "aired" it out . Then covered it over 😥

On a plus it's given me a incentive to find something "scooby to do" 🤔

so I collected a pair of v1/V2 cam covers from a mate (to get powder coated ) and finally unwrapped one of the v4sti heads 😉

20191117_154451.jpg

20191117_145550.jpg

• Like 1

Since building my first A+ (classic mini) engine at the age of 11 ,I've always enjoyed mechanics 😊

But after working in my dads garage for years as a teenager and doing a 4 yr apprenticeship at Ford , I gave up mechanics due to getting fed up on working on other people's cars full time .

I've  worked as a car painter /panel beater, precision engineer (lathes, mill work ect ) British standard welder ,structural steel worker, all of which I got good at but then bored and moved on to learn something new .

As for being a self employed plasterer, its boring after a while but I'm my own boss and it pays enough for me to stick at it 😉

Well for now , until I move and hopefully start a new business. .... working on scoobies 😊

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, Jay762 said:

Well if you fancy relocating to West Mids area I am scouting properties at the moment.... 😉

Tbh Jay ,after moving from east london (rat race) to the sunny sleepy Suffolk coast , I quite like it here bud .

Ideally I'd like to either build my own place or convert a country pub but we'll see what happens. So if while you're "scouting" you happen to spot a disused Suffolk country pub for about £300k let me know 😉

On 11/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, ROSSCOSM said:

Savage scoobies? 😂

Yep ,I even thought about trade marking that name 😊

I've gotta wait until my youngest (15yr old ) daughter has finished high school before I even start looking . 

Everything I've done to scoobies has been outside on a handstand , well apart from the engine building in the kitchen 😊

So I'd love to give up staring at a wall for a living and swap it for working on scoobies in a nice ,clean ,dry and warm workshop 😎

Mrs had "a nice big list of diy to do " so I promptly made us both a cuppa and disappeared into the scooby scraps shed 😋

Had a bit of a tidy up to create some space to start on the v4sti heads .Found 3 x 10mm sockets too ,so I'm gonna buy a scratch card later (cos I feel lucky lol )

Started on one head by checking the current valve clearances and although they're at the top of factory spec , I think that's a good thing . As hopefully when I relap the valves in ,it will bring the valve tips in closer , closing the gap by a thou or so 😉 . Not that it matters too much , as I can change the under bucket shims for the correct size when assembling, anyways .

The bottom end had gone on the v4 sti type r , so the chambers looked a bit oily.Other than that they look in good order 😎 

Knowing that I can't bring oily "scooby scraps " into the kitchen, I removed the pulleys ,re fitted the cam covers and started to give them a clean with a tooth brush and some wd40. Obviously once I've stripped them they'll go to Pat segar (my trusty engineer ) for a pressure check ,face skim and hot wash before reassembly. 

So just a couple of pics of the pre kitchen prep ,for now 😊

Excuse the quality of the pics  ,it was getting a bit dark by the time I'd finished 

20191123_151554.jpg

20191123_151022.jpg

Screenshot_20191124-110439_Gallery.jpg

20191123_133743.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ROSSCOSM said:

By the looks of the work you’ve posted here I’d say you could make a good go of it when the times right mate. 

doubt I'd become rich doing it ,as I'm far too fussy and through but I know I'd enjoy it more than swinging a trowel all day 🙄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well after a very merry pi55mess and a happy new beer , I've finally realized that there's only a couple of months till show season starts 😲

So i thought although the scoobs still hibernating I'd waken the never ending build thread too 😉

I  finished cleaning the v4sti heads , to a standard that the wife will allow them into her kitchen 😋. Covered the trusty dinner (engine building) table and started off by checking the current valve clearances. Happy to find that they're all within factory  spec, I made a start on the right hand head inlet valves .

Unfortunately,  I didn't manage to achieve a great deal and only removed the right hand intake cam , retainers, collets, springs and valves .😏

But I did check the valve and valve seats over and although they're also within factory spec , I did re seat them by lapping them .

So not too much progress but hopefully tomorrow I'll do the same to the exhaust side and at least I'll have one of the heads ready for pat (my trusty engineer) to pressure test and skim 😊

Few pics of Saturdays lunchtime preparation and me "lapping " up some tasty v4sti heads for lunch  🙄😂 

20200111_115451.jpg

Screenshot_20200111-203607_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made a start on the exhaust valve side today and I'm not happy with the amount of contact area on the valve seal . So if I'm going to get the right hand exhaust valves re cut ...  I might as well get them all recut .

In which case the lapping in of the 4 x R.H inlet valves , was a bit pointless  but at least I didn't do many out of the 16 valves before I noticed  that some would need a re cut .😏

Also found out my preferred earlier style cam covers with "twin cam 16v" wont seal around the v3/v4 head spark plug channel . So I'm gonna drop the v3/v4 cam covers off at the powdercoaters instead ,probably along with a few other bits as well 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not really much of a update tbh but I decided to go the whole hog and a brand new set of cam cap bolts and valve stem seals turned up from luke at icp .

So hopefully once my engineer has found the time to cut the valves ,pressure check and skim the heads .

I'll be able to crack on 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still not got the heads back ,as the engineer is well busy but I did finally unwrap a xmas present. 

It was for the wife .... so I dont have to keep using the kitchen table when working on engines 😊

Screenshot_20200211-192723_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3877a133f2c53b4e36e7fd74f9f0b7c7.jpg

Collected a hoist I'm borrowing this evening and was hoping to pull the engine this sunday but apparently we've got another storm at the weekend 🙄

893075649_Screenshot_20200211-191122_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.966809f314f75fc32b1bb1a9661f9723.jpg

Hopefully they'll be a gap in the bad weather soon , as the 70mph winds gave the car cover a proppa battering this week already 🙁

20200209_143259.thumb.jpg.528008b973fc2a458784559ebb4abb7a.jpg

• Like 2