a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

8 hours ago, mattiekane said:

It sits pretty much perfect that scoobie! Love it, and I don't like bugs lol

Loud pipes save lives

Tbh I wasn't a fan of preface or bugs , I much preferred v3/v4 and blobeyes....

But beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder" 😂 and here I am with a bug and preface ðŸĪŠ

Ross , i spoke to Gary and apparently there's a receipt in the masses of service paperwork 🙄 and It's a scoobyclinic splitter on the bug 😉

2018-12-28 19.35.06.png

Well the old crispy insulation engine loom has been sent off to JT innovations ,so hopefully I'll have a nice new replacement custom engine loom in just over a forgnight 😎

After sending the manufacturer of the thermal inlet manifold spacer kits a email ,they're going to supply me some replacement o ring gaskets but I'll source some better quality bolts for refitting 😉

As for the snapped inlet manifold bolt , I tried a cam style extractor but it wouldn't budge😒 So had to result to drilling , using a extractor and cleaning the thread with a tap . Pita but it's sorted now 😉 

I'll hopefully be dropping the inlet manifold, cusco"H"" brace , clutch fluid heat shield,lateral links and trailing arms off to the powder coaters one evening during the week. 

So for now here's a Part way through the Pita pic 🙄

And although I was angry with her ,soon as the snapped bolt was removed and I shut the bonnet..... she give me this look and all was forgiven 😍

20190301_155858.jpg

20190224_224811.jpg

• Like 1

Rain stopped play for a bit today , so I utilised the trusty kitchen table too strip the inlet and prep it for shot blasting prior to powdercoating.  Marked up the unused inlet lugs and removed them , masked up machined faces and wound old bolts in the threaded holes to keep them clean .

Just gotta remove the old bushes from the trailing arms and lateral links,  then hopefully drop everything off at the powder coaters one evening during the week. 

Getting a bit fed up of taking pics of this "long term" fuel system upgrade now 🙄

but I do feel like I'm finally getting somewhere at last 😊... even if there was nothing really wrong with the rails in the first place at my current hp and it's still all in bits in the shed atm ðŸĪ”ðŸĪŠÂ Â 

20190309_141453.jpg

20190309_141525.jpg

20190309_111557.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New dei wrapped custom engine loom should be here this week from jtinovations . Got new thermal inlet manifold spacer "O" rings ,icv and throttle body gasket on their way. 

I had to use a tighter 90° banjo fitting to clear the clocked coldside of the turbo and although the general opinion is that it won't restrict flow,  I decided to buy another "racingline " banjo fitting for other bank rail to insure the flow is the same. So that's on it's way too .

I've been running the 565cc nissmo injectors since the engine had been run in (46k ago) so seeing as the rest of the fuel system is being renewed,  I've sent the injectors off to Clive attowe tuining to get cleaned / flow matched .

Had to admit defeat with the trailing arms and lateral links bushes ,as it's taking far to long to remove the old bushes with the tools I have to hand .So I decided to just get the inlet manifold, injector caps and cusco H brace powdercoated for now and leave the rear end for another time. 

Dropped the stuff off monday afternoon and it was done by Friday 😎 can't fault "Suffolk stove enamelers" for the job they've done for me , will definitely be using them again 😊 

Hopefully I'll grab some new bolts for the inlet manifold and be able to start putting her back together at the weekend ðŸĪž

20190315_150222.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Matt 👍

Had all 3 deliveries turn up today , can't fault advanced automotive, jtinovations or racingline for speedy dispatch and customer service 👍

Sparky stuff ain't my forte but Tim at jtinovations certainly knows his stuff and the 25yr old engine looms replacement looks the dog's danglies 😎

20190320_184841.jpg

• Like 2

Managed to spend a bit of time to try and work out the routes for the fuel lines and position for the fuel lab fpr . Started off trying to use the lengths of braided fuel lines that I bought already made , this ment the for would be near the fuel filter . Unfortunately the pipework would have to have some really tight turns in itðŸĪ”

So had a rethink and relocated the fpr to the gearbox stabilizer bracket (dog bone mount) in the center of the bay on the bulkhead.  I've tried a few times to cut braided lines before and without the proppa equipment it's a Pita. So looks like I'm going to have to get 3 more lines made up , to finally get this fuel system up n running .

Pics of first position , few of the rails in situ and some of the location I'll be eventually fitting it .

20190324_151056.jpg

20190324_152812.jpg

20190324_163410.jpg

20190324_163435.jpg

20190324_150950.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattiekane said:

It's a busy but functional bay, I like it!!!

Loud pipes save lives

There's a lot of braided pipework from the catch can set up that's just laying in the bay unconnected, so that probably makes it look a bit more busy .  As I want to fit the fuel rails first ,then plumb the catch can set up back in and possibly relocate it at the front.

I still haven't tried to fit the new loom yet but hope that I'll be able to feed that in and fit that afterwards , too .

Still lots to do but at least I've started doing something again 

• Like 1

Had the nissmo side feed injectors turn up today after Clive attowe tuning had ultrasoniclly cleaned and flow matched them . Just need the stainless steel overbraid fuel line to get here and I can start putting her back together at last.

Bug sti is lovely to drive but I do miss driving the old girl 😒.

Seeing as I seemed to have inherited a set of 3 defi 60mm gauges and controller😎 , I've been searching for a pod to fit the early preface dash . 

I've only seen 1 dash top pod for preface and tbh it looked nasty and I don't fancy drilling holes in the top of the dash to feed the wires through . Other option was a pillar pod and I think they look a bit too "max power" for my liking . Plus I think 3 x 60mm gauges on the drivers a post would be a bit distracting/block my view at junctions .

Almost gave up but then spotted this , so hopefully it will be here in a fortnight and I can finally sell my "temporary" 4 in 1 gauge that I've been running for the past 6yrs or so lol . 

20190326_174834.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After test fitting the rails ,lines ,fpr and new loom I found that I'd need to extend a few of the braided fuel lines to make it all work .

So had a search on eBay for UK sellers and bought what I thought was 1 mtr of braided fuel line from the UK .

3mtrs turned up , which I thought was a bit strange for ÂĢ25 but it was listed as quality UK ,high pressure stainless steel overbraid fuel line 😎.

Normally I put a few layers of tape around the pipework, before cutting. As this stops the overbraid fraying too much to get the fittings over the ends .

Although this stuff looks good , once I removed the tape,  the overbraid just separates from the pipework ðŸĪ” 

Messaged the UK seller back to ask if it was just a section that was faulty,  only to be answered by someone in Hong Kong 🙄

So this stuff is going nowhere near my scoob , let alone using it on a fuel system . I've ordered some better quality stuff from a local high pressure hose company and learned that "eBay UK seller " doesn't mean that it's not cheap Hong Kong crap 🙄.

Pic of the poor quality hose on the inlet is what happens once I removed the tape straight after cutting ,  the other pic is of what happened to it after cutting and leaving on the bench overnight .

Dread to think about what it would be like after having fuel running through it with the heat from the engine wtf ðŸĪĻ

20190329_102058.jpg

20190405_123947.jpg

Yeah , I definitely agree ,braking ,steering and fuelling are not areas to scrimp on 👍

The normal price for quality stuff is about ÂĢ25 per mtr and that's what I thought I'd bought .

Just glad it fell apart or I probably wouldn't have known , as visually it looks the same as the proppa stuff 😏.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I remember that poor p1 ðŸ˜Ĩ

I've worked with hydraulic and pneumatic systems that run much more pressure than the 3.5 bar these will be running , so just needed the right quality materials .

New stuff has been a pleasure to work with and although rain (well SNOW actually lol) stopped play for a bit,  the inlet manifold is almost ready to refit 😎

Finally I decided to fit the fuel lab fpr at the passenger side rear of the bay , so recut a few pipes and assembled it all to tripple check I'm happy .

Blew the lines rails and inlet through with air and petrol , after all I've had the 565cc nissmo injectors cleaned , have a new fuel filter and the complete fuel system is being renewed ( So want everything clean )

I bought new o rings for the Injectors and phase 2 inlet adapters , gave them a light coat of oil before I fitted them. 

Although the new fuel lines have a stainless steel overbraid ,you still don't want them moving freely in the bay . As this puts stress on the joins and could eventually rub through the line and cause a leak . So I purposefully left a few "lugs" and bolt holes on the inlet ,too use to clamp down the lines .

I test fitted the custom jtinovations loom and Once I offer the whole inlet up , I'll then find the best places to cable tie the loom to stop it rubbing too 😉

I've got a few intake air pipes to cut , as I managed to put a Nick in the turbo inlet pipe  🙄 

But replacement stuff from A.S.H is cheap enough , thankfully. 

Busy next Weekend next weekend,  so still at least forgnight away from starting her up but getting there now 

20190329_102106.jpg

20190414_160631.jpg

20190414_160652.jpg

20190415_182815.jpg

20190415_182856.jpg

20190413_134214.jpg

• Like 3

Got a busy weekend ahead and knew I wouldn't get any "scooby time " 😏

So managed to get my plastering jobs wrapped up and took today off ,to get stuck in . I made a start fitting the defi sensors, controller and gauges. relocated the aem afr gauge to the drivers side A post ,where the old 4 in 1 gauge used to be and hopefully the centre vent pod for the defi's will be here early next week 😎

First pic mid sparky shenanigans, second full swear tin n done job .

Still haven't worked out where I'm gonna put the apexi f.c hand controller yet though ðŸĪ”

20190417_154901.jpg

20190417_174121.jpg

• Like 2

Back to the bay 😊

After finding the best route for the fuel lines, new loom , oil breather pipework and best position for the catch can . I finally started to put her back together 😊

New throttle body /icv gaskets and inlet manifold spacer "o" rings , along with stainless steel bolts 😉

The catch can is now in a similar area to where it used to be but much lower in the bay now. To help lessen the occasional whiff of oil and hopefully it will also drain the moisture in the  breather pipes into the can better .

Primed the oil system by pulling the ignition fuse , as it's not been started in nearly 6 weeks 😏 

Then primed the fuel system , flicked the key  and she sprung into life 😍

No leaks and revs up fine but it does seem to have a high hot idle of 1.2k , unfortunately I'll have to look into that at a later date but she lives 😊

You're all probably sick of seeing pics of the inlet and the bay does need a clean (water marks and dust on the ally)  but here's a few more now it's finally fitted  anyways ðŸĪŠ

20190416_190222.jpg

20190416_190154.jpg

20190418_164843.jpg

20190418_164902.jpg

• Like 3