First time buyer

Daryl

Afaik a blobeye wrx will have 3 "cats"

Pre cat in the up pipe  ,this goes between headers (exhaust manifold) and bottom of the turbo .

Main cat (in the downpipe),this goes from the turbo to the center section.

Secondary cat , this is in the centre section of the exhaust .

If the code is o2 on just 1 bank ?

It's more likely to be a sticky tgv (tumble generator valve) than a o2 issue .as a stuck tgv restricts the air flow into the head , causing  air fuel ratio (o2) readings to be out .

So just double check it's a o2 problem code and not a out of parameter 02 reading on 1 bank before you buy anything bud 

26 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Afaik a blobeye wrx will have 3 "cats"

Pre cat in the up pipe  ,this goes between headers (exhaust manifold) and bottom of the turbo .

Main cat (in the downpipe),this goes from the turbo to the center section.

Secondary cat , this is in the centre section of the exhaust .

If the code is o2 on just 1 bank ?

It's more likely to be a sticky tgv (tumble generator valve) than a o2 issue .as a stuck tgv restricts the air flow into the head , causing  air fuel ratio (o2) readings to be out .

So just double check it's a o2 problem code and not a out of parameter 02 reading on 1 bank before you buy anything bud 

Well there you go savage i'm glad some one with a bit more knowledge than myself has had something to say on this, like i said previously i don't know alot about newage stuff, everydays a school day 🤣👍

• Haha 1

I haven't posted much on this thread as you boys seem to be on the ball . I'm not 100% sure about the secondary cat as my bug sti had a aftermarket system. 

Just thought I'd pipe up as I know that a single bank o2 sensor code is more likely to be a tgv issue . If the garage has just read the code rather than interpreting the code it can easily lead to thinking it's a o2 or cat issue .

Plus it's far more common for the Tgv's to be at fault than the cat failing. 

Cheers savage I'll have a word tommorow about it an find out exactly what that code is, would the tgr being sticky cause any symptoms? Apart from air fuel ratio? But by what he was saying about that section of exhaust it wants replacing anyways

I've only ever owned a few classics and a v7sti , none of them have Tgv's,  so can't speak from experience. 

The Tgv's or tumbler generator valves are flaps that are supposed to make the air entering the heads "tumble ". To help the air a fuel mix better ,giving a cleaner burn during cold start enrichment. 

So if they stick or the solenoid that operates them is faulty , the flaps (or butterflies) can block the air entering the head on that side (bank) of the engine. 

Think other than a bank lean or rich o2 code, its likely to cause rough idle (hunting) and maybe stuttering or hesitation on boost .

Just thought it would be worth mentioning ,as it's a common fault on bug onwards WRX's   classics and sti's don't have Tgv's by the way .

Only if holes are before the sensor.

You can get tgv delete kits or modify them yourself. The engine light would then need deleting from the ecu software. None of wish I have done. Delete kits are probably expensive. If there are similiar to a egr valve I bet it is a solenoid seized. No idea if they are serviceable though.

11 hours ago, stuartie said:

What part of the exhaust is actually fooked mate and phone luke at icp for the gaskets he will sort you out right away 👍

Do you have his number mate or where can I find it?