a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

Pulled the v3 uk off the road and set about moving the mechanicals over to the v1 .

Didn't take to many pics monday as my brvs been helping and we got stuck in

post-1399-141211219936_thumb.jpgpost-1399-141211221969_thumb.jpg

fmic

Rad

Engine

6speed

All out of the v3 [emoji4]

Only managed to get the 6speed in the v1 as I had to convert the engine from the phase 1.5 v3 inlet and auxiliaries to phase 1 v1 .

I'd converted the tdo5 to front entry and ported the exhaust housing and now need a top entry turbo [emoji55]

so decided i wanted to switch hotsides (keep my ported housing) when I converted the turbo back to top entry

post-1399-141211295795_thumb.jpg

post-1399-141211294223_thumb.jpg

Removed the ported headers and h&s upipe and fitted the gruppe headers and 4 bolt upipe , the reversed v1 inlet and top entry tdo5post-1399-141211310956_thumb.jpg

last pics a bit !Removed! cos it was getting dark [emoji6] hopefully get the engine in situ and make a start on converting the fmic pipework and catch can tomorrow

Cutting it fine for friday dyno day [emoji16]

• Like 1

Well Friday's been n gone and it's still not quite finished [emoji55]

Still got to ...

Fit the rcm fuel pump and fit back seats

Blead the brakes

fit side skirts/!Removed! guard's

had a mission setting up the alternator as the "yeah they fit fine mate " brackets I bought [emoji19] didn't give enough clearance to the throttle body linkage for my liking .

I had to remove one of the alternator "legs" ,modify the alternator connections, use and modify a v3 throttle body/cable and splice a v3 tps into the v1 loom .

just as well that I like a challenge [emoji15]

A few more pics of what I've been up to anyways

Mock fit of the alternator

post-1399-141254611986_thumb.jpg

re routed fmic pipework and location/pipe work mock up for catch can

post-1399-141254626444_thumb.jpg

Fmic plumbed in and Engine up n running

post-1399-1412546559_thumb.jpg

post-1399-141254678753_thumb.jpg

Front end back on

post-1399-141254663929_thumb.jpg

Brakes ,suspension rear bumper fitted

post-1399-141254675678_thumb.jpg

It's been a bit of a manic week mate but I hey had a week away from plastering and played scooby all week from 8 till 4 every day [emoji41]

It's still got odd door handles and I've got a few bit's I still want to swop over from the v3 Shell

But it's roadworthy ,insured and booked in for mot Wednesday afternoon [emoji6]

As it's not been driven anywhere I'd like to make sure I haven't got any boost leaks as I've made the fmic pipework out of the old stuff and a 90° silicone hose.

Plus I'd like to see if there's any teething problems with the phase , inlet and vacuum conversions before I book any dyno time but as soon after Wednesday as possible[emoji4]

As for the turbo blanket I might re fit it as it did bring intake temps down a bit but the spring clips used to "zing" a bit and it will be getting cold soon [emoji5]

• Like 1

if it would have been a straight transplant it would have took half the time but hey wheres the fun in that ;)

still needs mapping and a few cosmetic bits (including a clay and polish) but i chucked a sponge at it and the mrs gave it a clean inside so heres a few pics anyways 

b7a48450-9c79-4061-ab6e-90cbaba63007_zps

0e05a0e6-90b8-4219-81c9-a036cf152838_zps

859A5F24-orig_zpsa908f389.jpg

going to swap bonnets as the sti,s one looks like its been shot with a musket and no pics of the other side , cos its still got odd door handles lol .

fingers crossed i wont find any teething problems with the conversion on the dyno Wednesday as i havent used any more than 0.5 bar of boost due to not being mapped yet but otherwise so far im quite chuffed :)  

Cheers chaps

I might change the front grill for the one off the uk turbo with the black badge and I've still got to fit ....

my vibe front door speakers

the rear sti spats

and one rear black door handle (still lol)

Did fly through the mot only thing he mentioned was the rear wash wiper not working .easy fix as after driving a uk without a rear wiper for 2yrs I'd forgotten to refit it :-D

Mapping was still a bit disappointing (again ) as the 20yr old classic coilpacks didn't like anymore than 1.1 bar of boost:-(

It kept misfiring as he tried to feed more boost in which is down to having a weak spark (boost blows the spark out)

Did manage 330hp @1.1 bar and it pulls cleaner than ever with slightly better economy .

next up newage coilpack conversion ;-)

Well any more than 3/4 throttle and I got a intermittent misfire @ about 4.5 k due to the sti separate coilpacks :-(

I used this link for the spec on the conversion. 

http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/classic-impreza-new-age-coil-pack-conversion/

I bought myself some newage coilpacks with pigtails and upgraded them .

20141030_152126_zpskshli996.jpg

I had a spare set of classic coilpacks which I cut the plugs off to attach to the newage coilpacks so they plug into the classic loom

20141031_103940_zpsjnxx7dmr.jpg

soldered , heat wrapped , and ready to assemble

20141031_113041_zpsuonnl9p2.jpg

The newage coilpacks have a extra wire as they require to be earthed I just extended the wire and connected it to a bolt on the inlet manifold .

then came the bit I wasn't looking forward to , as the new coilpacks increase the voltage needed to create a spark whereas the classic coilpacks used s "igniter" to increase the voltage and the coilpacks just receive the voltage .

which means that I have to remove the igniter behind the boost solenoid bracket CUT the loom to by pass the igniter past the point of no return pic

20141031_143119_zpsgd9fkpru.jpg

Let it warm up a bit and took it down a few slip lanes and not a hint of misfiring so well worth the £90 imo

just don't know if I should bother ringing the tdo5's neck and getting the map tweeked for more boost or wait until I've got a bigger turbo next year

either way I'm glad to be grinning again :-)

I doff my cap sir !

After all the hard work thats gone into her so far, electrical witchcraft is far beyond my capabilities. Wouldn't have the confidence to start chopping the into the loom [emoji33] how much clearance will there be with the coils on top, is it gonna make them even harder to remove ?

Cheers stants

I normally leave the electrics side of things to my brv tbh but he's busy atm .

so it was a bit daunting as I haven't soldered anything for about 10 yrs .

As for the newage coilpacks they're pretty much the same size so not a problem with getting them in situ

20141101_104743_zpsmozsk8lk.jpg

Now she's running fine I've spent most of the morning fitting my vibe slick speaker's and if she continues to behave herself I might even treat her to the fuchs pro r oil and mahle filter a bit later

Done the oil and filter change can't say much about the titan pro r oil yet other than the fact it's red .

Switched the v5/v6 sti front grill for my v3 uk one and prefer it tbh, as it doesn't jutt out as far . ( I might change the badge for a sti one though)

20141101_142546_zpsmjjvcuz_edit_14153839

20141107_150356_zpsjwsjsky_edit_14153841

quite like the change the rear spoilers made to the look of the car but it creates a 200mm blind spot right across the rear view mirror :-(

20141015_104447_zpsvcmc7p0f.jpg

So might have to swop it for the old v3 mid level one :-(

On a plus side I have finally changed that one odd silver rear door handle for a black one :-D

• Like 2

Thanks fellas

the bigger spoiler just seems to block out too much of the vision in the rear view mirror[emoji19]

but it does make the car look a bit different to the original silver v3 uk that I've been driving for the past 3 yrs[emoji5]

So even if I do put the v3 one back on I'll probably keep my eye open for something different [emoji6]

Yeah it's been a bit manic trying to do a reshell and get the car mot'd and back on the road within a fortnight .

If I didn't need a van for work I'd have the scooby as a second car, which would give me much more time to fettle .

Project nearly took a different direction over the weekend ......

As my vdub bud was trying to sell me a massive rotrex supercharger which is good for 500 hp [emoji16]

post-1399-141564639332_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ilike the idea of a supercharger (something different) but if I had a spare £2k I'd probably get a bigger turbo and visit to a body shop [emoji4]

but I can't afford (or dare [emoji5] ) to spend anymore money on the car till spring [emoji19]

And stants im trying not to make any plans for major changes to the scoob ....

Honest [emoji55]

But these things just seem to snowball sometimes[emoji5]

I like the idea of the supercharger - it is something different and the flat engine layout seems ideal to have a beast bolted to the top - that could be for the next project thread though ;)

How about both al la audi.

Supercharger low down beans till the turbo spools up then more boost than you can shake a stick at.

Your only allowed to fit it if you have the lift up button from mad max. Shame it didn't actually do owt still looked cool as f**k to a 12 year old me [emoji51]

I did think about fitting a twin charge system and using a tdo6

Don't fancy putting the inlet back to standard as the alternator is currently relocated in the ideal place to mount the charger [emoji19]

I'd have to upgrade injector sizes and clutch as they're only good for just over 400hp .

Tbh it was just soo tempting looking at that massive rotrex supercharger but out of my price range atm .

Also I'm still enjoying the current power so I'll probably just keep switching the best bits over to the sti for now and save my cash for next years shinagans

I've always got a few more ponies to squeeze outta the tdo5 if I get bored and might still need a flip switch eventually .....

As I still haven't ruled out nos [emoji39]

• Like 1