a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

Cheers James,  I dug the spare alternators outta the very back of the scooby scraps shed and I guess I must have a leak somewhere 🤔

As they both look like they've come off the titanic (rusty as fook) 😂

Glad most of my other spares are in plastic storage containers. 

So If I can't make a good one outta the 3 I've got , I might take you up on that 👍

20190608_170730.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the rough quote for for the turbo rebuild was £350 , so seeing as it only cost me £150 in the first place , I dropped it off for them to have a look at and hopefully get a upgrade as well as a rebuild .

Once they'd took it apart they then called me and said it would be close to £1k to rebuild instead ,due to the Garrett ball bearing core 🤔🤨✌.

So I went and picked it up and its currently sat in the scooby scraps shed in a box 😏.

So after loads of searching and research ing for a cheaper option ,I've decided to go with a arashi tdo5 billet 20g with a polished and ported 7cm housing.  Yeah, I know it's no Garrett and the haters are probably gonna hate 🙄

I've spent a bit on the "project" over the years but its been done over a long period and the whole thing still comes in just under £6k (including the purchase of the v1sti ) .

So after seeing nothing but good reviews, I thought I'd give the £600 turbo a go . Knowing  that if it does eventually need a rebuild it will cost a fraction of the Garrett gt28r ,as it's a journal based turbo .

According to the tracking its currently in the DHL Frankfurt hub , so it should be here soon and I'll post some pics and see how well it looks like its been made when it gets here 😊

• Like 2

Well top Mark's for DHL, Frankfurt on Wednesday night, on my doorstep in Suffolk on Thursday afternoon 😊

First impressions of the arashi turbo are that it's been well made , all the machined surfaces are well finished and not burred. Every nut and bolt has engineer's paint on ,which is normally used once a fixing has been torqued to mark the position of the nut . There was a fair bit of stuff in the fitting kit ,which all appears to be good quality...

turbo outlet and uppipe studs/nuts , numerous different strength springs for the billet actuator, oil line with banjo bolts and gaskets . I never use anything but Subaru exhaust gaskets but the gaskets themselves look better quality than oe ,with a couple of more layers and a polished finish .

There's also a core balance sheet ,so hopefully it's been balanced and a serial number id card along with some other info .

I think we've are mugged off in the UK for the price of turbos and hopefully the arashi will be reasonable quality but only time and a dyno tweek will tell . So here's a few pics for now 😉

20190628_101957.jpg

20190628_142601.jpg

20190628_101940.jpg

20190627_171342.jpg

20190628_101755.jpg

20190628_101848.jpg

20190628_101839.jpg

• Like 1

Proppa roasting in sunny Suffolk yesterday ,so I have a red neck and possible sunstroke but .....  i also have a new turbo fitted 😊

Fitting seemed to go easily, without any modifications needed . I pulled the ignition fuse and cranked it over a few times to make sure it was primed with oil , set up some low targets and duty on the avcr and took it for a test run .

All seemed good so I decided to switch the avcr back over to the original high boost setting for the old aps sr40 (gt28r) . The old gt28r only occasionally used to hit the peak 1.6 bar it was targeted for in 4th and above (on a cold day) . Did a few part throttle pulls while monitoring afr and knock and all seemed good .

Made my way to a slip lane and did a 3rd gear pull ,thinking the most it would make would be about 1.5 bar .....

1.74 bar and it went like a stabbed rat 😲😜 

Although afr and the apexi peak levels were good I'm gonna back the boost duty and targets off a bit ,until i manage to find the time to get attowe to work his magic 

So far ,so good and of course heres a few pics 😉

20190629_120047.jpg

20190628_130506.jpg

20190629_183642.jpg

20190629_171237.jpg

20190629_180059.jpg

20190629_180026.jpg

20190629_180131.jpg

• Like 1

Time to start doubling up on clamps, at that boost you bound to pop a few pipes off.

Engine bay is starting to look really good by the way, love the aircraft grade quick connectors and braided lines!

• Thanks 1

Cheers ,well over engineered but its getting there 😊

Although all the ally pipework has a swage or bump on every join , I will get round to getting some better clamps and matching blue joiners (it's tweaking OCD lol) ...  well once I decide what I'm doing with the pipework 🤔

Since refitting a stock position cold side I've had to make do with what I had to hand to make it work .As I'd clocked the aps sr40 coldside to loose the u bend in the fmic pipework that runs over the hotside. So for now it's been twisted/ lifted away from the hotside as far as possible and has a  straight black silicone joiner in it 😏

I'm thinking about maybe trying to reroute the turbo outlet fmic pipework clockwise around the bay .Then connect it to the current fmic to throttle body pipework by the battery/bottom rad hose . This means I'd have to convert the current fmic intake pipework to connect to the reversed inlet throttle body and run the core in reverse 🤔

Only a idea at this stage but it would mean the fmic pipework wouldn't run over the hotside (less heatsoak ,maybe) and I could cut out more fmic pipework by losing the pipework that runs from fmic core ,under the wheel arch and through the inner wing .

Might also try to step up to a bigger diameter bore ally pipe on the turbo inlet tract sooner ,as at the moment it's stock size from turbo inlet all the way to the maf.  I know the stock turbo inlet neck will always be restrictive but you never know it might help flow .

For now I've turned the boost target down to 1.3 bar and I'm only getting a bit of overboost to 1.35 in 4th through to 6th . 

Spoke to Clive attowe today about which of the 18 settings for actuator strength he'd like me to start with by haven't got a clue when I'll find the time to book in a dyno tweek atm 😏

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still haven't found the time to fit another alternator or get to the dyno ,tbh the only real major thing I've done scooby wise is sell one 😏

At least I managed to make it too a local retro meet and a local show , so I've actually been driving and enjoying the v1sti for a change . instead of pulling it apart every 5 mins  for kicks n giggles 🤐🙄😊

Bought a cheaper 20t a4 to replace the bug sti as a daily and winter driver. Before I paid the difference back into the bank I spotted a bargain.....

A set of v4sti heads 😊

They have the most aggressive cams they fitted to classics and under bucket shims ,which lessen the chance of valve jack up at high rpm .

So I've got something to keep my idle hands busy during the winter months,  to refurb the heads and maybe upgrade a few bits as I do 😉

The seller said he'd chuck a few of the extra bits he had in with heads , so was happy to find 2x throttle bodies, 2 x tps ,a icv , HT leads and a few gaskets 😎

Pic of the bug sti  (driven to the show by the new owner ) on the esc show stand with the v1sti , 1 of the dailys bay (nice n clean just how I like em) and one of the heads n bonus bits 😊 

20190804_124756.jpg

Screenshot_20190801-172402_Samsung Internet.jpg

20190808_194508.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sunny bank holiday in Suffolk 😎 So I decided to get up early and fit the cdf alternator relocation kit, before it got too hot .

Nothing wrong with the cdf kit but it doesn't fit my Frankenstein phase 1 inlet manifold 😏

As I'm running a phase 1.5 v3/v4 throttle body and it makes the alternator foul on the throttle linkage 🙄

Guessing I'll be cleaning and greasing the old alternator (to hopefully stop it squealing on start up) and refitting it with the relocation kit I made lol 

Shame as the cdf kit would've matched the billet cdf rails sweetly and I'm now getting a crispy redneck in the sun 😋

20190826_125828.jpg

20190826_125840.jpg

20190826_125028.jpg

• Like 1

Well after a bit of fettling it might work,  gonna have to still use one of the tensioners I made originally and even then , that depends upon if I can find a belt that will fit 🙄

But it looks better than the brackets I made and hopefully the tensioner I did remove, was the thing that was screeching on first start up 🤞

If not back to the original set up and a bucket load of wd40 😋

20190826_182214.jpg

20190826_182512.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers chap , hopefully I'll be able to find a suitable sized belt and get it back together during the evenings this week .

As I'd like to get it up to Clive attowes fairly soon and get the "Taiwanese tornado turbine" tweeked in and see how it performs when set up properly 😋

16 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Cheers chap , hopefully I'll be able to find a suitable sized belt and get it back together during the evenings this week .

As I'd like to get it up to Clive attowes fairly soon and get the "Taiwanese tornado turbine" tweeked in and see how it performs when set up properly 😋

Think I’m planning on running a fairly standard set up on her. I will be fitting a custom stainless  pipe with 4” back box and a sneak head manifold. Dropped her on to her new coil overs last night. WOW!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:07 PM, savage bulldogs said:

Well after a bit of fettling it might work,  gonna have to still use one of the tensioners I made originally and even then , that depends upon if I can find a belt that will fit 🙄

But it looks better than the brackets I made and hopefully the tensioner I did remove, was the thing that was screeching on first start up 🤞

If not back to the original set up and a bucket load of wd40 😋

20190826_182214.jpg

20190826_182512.jpg

Maaaate,this is amazing.Your engine bay looks something else. Mabey I will do a wee bit 🤔😂

• Haha 1

Cheers terzo .

There's loads of aftermarket options for exhausts and headers , just bear in mind if you fit equal length headers you'll loose the epic scooby burble. Also if you fit a decat downpipe it will effect emissions come mot time .

I do like a nice clean bay , looks good and makes it much easier to spot and leaks early on. Only issue is that it's a very slippery slope , cos soon as you fit one shiny bit ..... it looks good 😎 but it makes everything else look shoddy lol .

I built the engine over 8 yrs and 55k miles ago and although it doesn't leak and I keep it clean , the actual heads and block could do with a lick of paint again. As since fitting the freshly powder coated inlet ,it shows everything else up 🙄

On 8/28/2019 at 3:39 PM, savage bulldogs said:

I took it to a local retro car meet last week and a photographer took a pic of me leaving with my mates evo behind us , so thought I might as well post it on here too 😊

Screenshot_20190828-103328_Gmail.jpg

Great picture mate your car looks amazing infront of that evo where it belongs 😉😂😂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ROSSCOSM said:

Great picture mate your car looks amazing infront of that evo where it belongs 😉😂😂

evo's prob dropped its diff all over the road,,,,,,,,,

pmsl sorry couldn't resist haha

• Haha 2

Tbh I do like Gary's rs , it's the closest evo to a classic ra that they made ,with windy windows, no abs or electrical witchcraft. Just a lightweight evo drivers car with a mapped 365hp .

So I dare say it would be a close match between his and mine , well apart from top end .... as he has a short ratio jdm 5 speed and mines got a uk 6 speed 😊

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:44 PM, ROSSCOSM said:

Love evos aswell but scoobies always had more apeal for me maybe that says something about my personality but I dont care lol... Tidgy love it 😂

i couldn't resist 😄

hahahaha

• Haha 2

Bought another alternator from a friend, after redrilling the mounting holes and making slightly smaller spacers for under the alternator relocation bracket...... finally a non screechy start up 😊.

Also booked it in at Clive attowes next friday , so hopefully we'll find out if the arashi billet tdo5 20g will actually make any power 🤞

Attowe has suggested for me to fit a slightly weaker spring combination than the current 1.2 bar one .As although you'd think a stronger spring would help it hold the waste gate shut and make boost control eaiser 🤔

But it might actually mean the boost control solenoid duty has to be turned up really high , in order to operate the actuator diaphragm smoothly 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided I want to change the diameter and possibly route, of the turbo intake pipework . I'm fairly sure having the same dia pipe, as the stock turbo intake opening going from turbo to maf is restrictive.  So with the map tweek on friday, I'll  be happy with somewhere around the 359hp it was previously running on the aps sr40 (for now).

I checked the levels and chucked a few spare sensors in the boot ,I'll leave the green label maf in until im ready to fit the v4sti heads . Then Increase the intake tract diameter and get the z32 tweeked in all at once .

Hopefully everything goes well friday and I'll be back to having more than 1.2 bar in my life 🤞😊

spotted a few more pics of the old girl taken at the jap meet by a local photographer on f.b , so thought I'd chuck em on here too 😉

At this rate it might actually be ready for the s.o.c stand for japshow finale at the pod at the end of this month 🤞😎

Screenshot_20190911-190119_Gallery.jpg

20190911_190213.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately there's been a bit of confusion with what I've been booked in for , so there's not as much dyno time as we'd have liked .

He still won't let me leave without it running safe but doubt he'll get chance to get the most outta the set up .

It would be nice to leave with decent numbers but seeing as I've got different heads to fit , it's probably not worth spending his time and my money tweaking the current map too much atm .

We'll soon see what a minor tweek brings  anyways 😬