What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

Stupid LED sidelights I had fitted at last months service have both blown already and one headlight unit seems to have moisture in. Not happy [emoji35]

The headlight units are impossible to get out. Any tips?

I think they had blown before we met at the angel@seminole81 I thought I couldn't see them in your mirror pics....now I know why [emoji849]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Phillip1993 said:

This pi*s me off why do people think jusd because its a subaru we drive 100mph everywhere emoji35.pngemoji35.pngemoji35.pngemoji35.png

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yeah exactly the problem  I have most days noise =speed apparently? They'd be stunned if they saw wide open throttle. The other car didn't stop. Two people turned up and said he always drives fast. I told them to mind there own! insurance said they are certain it's non fault on my part. Even had car hire company's ring and offer me cars saying I don't pay anything because it's not my fault. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JamesJDMwagon said:

Yeah exactly the problem  I have most days noise =speed apparently? They'd be stunned if they saw wide open throttle. The other car didn't stop. Two people turned up and said he always drives fast. I told them to mind there own! Insurance said they are certain it's non fault on my part. Even had car hire company's ring and offer me cars saying I don't pay anything because it's not my fault. 

Some stupid people out there buddy who will say anything but their prayers. Fingers crossed you get sorted out very quickly and the daft bindt gets what's coming to her. 

Well, got a call at 4:45 to say that my car was almost ready, they were just putting it all back together after pressing in the new bearing. Then got another call at 5:20 saying that for some reason the wheel is locked and won't turn! They are going to have to take it apart again and see what's going on... they reckon it's a defective bearing, or he's put it back together wrong (but I doubt they would admit to that!)

They did put my car in their usual social media images tho :D

HQ2.jpg

HQ1.jpg

Got half the new brakes fitted, then came across a solid bolt stopping me doing rear bearing and a thread pulled on on the brembos 😭376e79ca56d688522d5297c9aeec8357.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Well, was tinkering around with the cigarette lighter ring light tried changing it to white (warm white unfortunately) and when putting the red back in, it seems to have shorted out the ring light? Cigarette lighter still works, except doesn't hold on if that makes sense. Just the light seems to have gone? Smelled burnt, couldn't pull fuse as I couldn't get it out, but don't think the fuse is bad as it's still getting hot...just the light...so now I'm confused on how to fix it...

@Sandals I had a similar problem when fitting new discs, pads and hand brake shoe kit on the rear of mine this spring, once back together the wheel was locked solid on the ns when the wheel nuts were tight which was odd, loosened them off a bit and could turn the wheel but with heavy resistance against me which LED me to find the new disc had a lip that was rubbing against the disc back plate shield and saw the old disc had the same lip but had been worn down. Not sure why the lip is there but I got a chisel and straightened the backplate and took as much build up of dirt off it as I could then put it back together and now it's much better. 

@mattiekane That really sucks :( Get the Brembo helicoiled?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hudson said:

@Sandals I had a similar problem when fitting new discs, pads and hand brake shoe kit on the rear of mine this spring, once back together the wheel was locked solid on the ns when the wheel nuts were tight which was odd, loosened them off a bit and could turn the wheel but with heavy resistance against me which led me to find the new disc had a lip that was rubbing against the disc back plate shield and saw the old disc had the same lip but had been worn down. Not sure why the lip is there but I got a chisel and straightened the backplate and took as much build up of dirt off it as I could then put it back together and now it's much better. 

@mattiekane That really sucks :( Get the brembo helicoiled?

Wonder if they've bent something slightly while taking it apart? Not sure... not costing me any extra so as long as it's fixed today I'll be happy!

Turns out one of the bearing seals wasn't sitting right, so an easy enough fix for them... the mechanic did unfortunately drop a socket and chipped my wheel. Thankfully there are defects in the paint from the original refurb, so they are all getting done again for free anyway... Said I would be happy with knocking 60 quid off my bill! You can see next to the chip the defects I'm talking about...

IMG_20170609_145126.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I figured out what happened with the LED in the cigarette lighter key ring. Went to drive home and noticed the Climate Control lights not on and nothing dimmed when I put the headlights on...obviously I couldn't tell before because it was during the day...anyways, quick Google and checked the fuses, under Illumi under dash. 10a dude blown. Luckily I had another so slotted it in and boom! Everything's working! 😊 Must of blown it because I was taking LEDs out and putting them in whilst the car was running so I could see the differences haha. So @stants looks like I don't need that loom after all! Cheers though haha!

On another note, got the multimeter out to test where that light that's not working in the rear...oddly enough, I'm getting a current through it (not sure entirely what, I'm **** with electrical stuff). Bulb is differently good because it's brand new...but I'm stumped as to why it's not coming on now...I believe it's a MOT fail as well and I've got that coming up soon...

Well, I figured out what happened with the LED in the cigarette lighter key ring. Went to drive home and noticed the Climate Control lights not on and nothing dimmed when I put the headlights on...obviously I couldn't tell before because it was during the day...anyways, quick Google and checked the fuses, under Illumi under dash. 10a dude blown. Luckily I had another so slotted it in and boom! Everything's working! [emoji4] Must of blown it because I was taking LEDs out and putting them in whilst the car was running so I could see the differences haha. So @stants looks like I don't need that loom after all! Cheers though haha!

On another note, got the multimeter out to test where that light that's not working in the rear...oddly enough, I'm getting a current through it (not sure entirely what, I'm **** with electrical stuff). Bulb is differently good because it's brand new...but I'm stumped as to why it's not coming on now...I believe it's a MOT fail as well and I've got that coming up soon...

Is it a LED bulb? If so just put it in again changing the polarity [emoji12]this should fix it

1 hour ago, Shepbomb said:

Is it a led bulb? If so just put it in again changing the polarity emoji12.pngthis should fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, just normal filament bulb like stock. Tried it both ways, not working...

20 minutes ago, Seminole81 said:

No, just normal filament bulb like stock. Tried it both ways, not working...

What bulb is it brake light (stop light for u boys) or tail light (running light) 😂😂. Mine r separate bulbs as opposed 2 a dual filament. Ended up wiggling wires and checking earth connections which are the most likely causes. I don't know 2 use or set a multi meter. 

Could it be a fuse blown as to why both my front side lights are off? Main headlights are still fine, as as tail lights when sidelights turned on

@Seminole81 what voltage are you getting down the live wire to the bulb?, if you can try to get the probe on the mutimeter onto the pin in the middle of the bulb holder as thats the live and the metal surround is the earth, it could be the holder itself or the bulb may not be contacting properly inside the holder, if you have a little pick or screwdriver you can bend the live pin up a bit which should give a better contact to the bulb or get a pair of pliers and squeeze the body of the holder so that the bulb is fitting really tight into it, i'm not the best with electrics tbh but know basic stuff.

@david1972 not sure if itl be a fuse as i think the rear sidelights are on the same fuse as the front, there will be a fuse for each side, i'm not sure how the front side lights are wired up on your car as i've never worked on one but could it be that the previous owner had a problem with them and wired them in together and now theres a fault with the wiring, its kinda strange how both are not working at the same time unless both bulbs are faulty but i'm assuming that you've already checked them 

Swapped out the wheel nuts for ones gifted by @stants (many thanks). before, after (not pictured car wash). Need to get a set of security bolts now to finish the job and probably going to end up painting those calipers.

Also been offered a custom plate for cost of transfer "W##ARP" so will be putting that on soon I think.

@Seminole81 what voltage are you getting down the live wire to the bulb?, if you can try to get the probe on the mutimeter onto the pin in the middle of the bulb holder as thats the live and the metal surround is the earth, it could be the holder itself or the bulb may not be contacting properly inside the holder, if you have a little pick or screwdriver you can bend the live pin up a bit which should give a better contact to the bulb or get a pair of pliers and squeeze the body of the holder so that the bulb is fitting really tight into it, i'm not the best with electrics tbh but know basic stuff.

@david1972 not sure if itl be a fuse as i think the rear sidelights are on the same fuse as the front, there will be a fuse for each side, i'm not sure how the front side lights are wired up on your car as i've never worked on one but could it be that the previous owner had a problem with them and wired them in together and now theres a fault with the wiring, its kinda strange how both are not working at the same time unless both bulbs are faulty but i'm assuming that you've already checked them 

Need to get to them first...it's an absolute pig of a job. Not using these brand of LEDs again though; too unreliable

@david1972 may be related to your parking light switch, when you turn that on what lights do you get ?

A had a fuse go in the engine bay compartment which knocked the rear lights and something else out maybe ciggy lighter (can't remember) but also stopped the parking lights switch from working

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@david1972 may be related to your parking light switch, when you turn that on what lights do you get ?

A had a fuse go in the engine bay compartment which knocked the rear lights and something else out maybe ciggy lighter (can't remember) but also stopped the parking lights switch from working

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate...will be investigating it tomorrow

6 hours ago, Fastboy67 said:

What bulb is it brake light (stop light for u boys) or tail light (running light) 😂😂. Mine r separate bulbs as opposed 2 a dual filament. Ended up wiggling wires and checking earth connections which are the most likely causes. I don't know 2 use or set a multi meter. 

It's the tail light (running light) on the right side only. It's seperate bulbs for the two, just the one running isn't working. 

4 hours ago, stuartie said:

I'm not sure. Don't know how to use a multimeter really, but stuck the ends in and got a reading on it so...bulb seems to fit really tight as it is...actually I'm wondering now the front fog light is out on the same side as well so I wonder if it may be a fuse blown?

4 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

It's the tail light (running light) on the right side only. It's seperate bulbs for the two, just the one running isn't working. 

I'm not sure. Don't know how to use a multimeter really, but stuck the ends in and got a reading on it so...bulb seems to fit really tight as it is...actually I'm wondering now the front fog light is out on the same side as well so I wonder if it may be a fuse blown?

13.35 steady when headlights on, 0 when ignition off. Also of note, bulb was red hot to touch after driving around for a bit.

Well, I've had a look at my sidelight issue today.

Started by checking the parking light switch. No problems there as rears still light up. Fuse next, no probs as expected.

Just as I feared...time to try and remove the headlight units again. Drivers side first, no problem. Great I thought, this is going to be 10 mins max. Bulb replaced, tested, light refitted.

On to the passenger side. An hour and a half later and the stupid thing still won't come out. Given up again.

I now have one sidelight working, which looks worse than none. Not happy [emoji20]

Anyone want to buy an auto wrx?