What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

Intake manifold off today to find the oil leak culprits.

This engine has dual AVCS and both sides are leaking, im going to do a compression test and rebuild the manifold, new hoses and better cable management.

turbo has a very small amount of side play but no front to back, plugs look good too

I want to remove the long block and replace all the gaskets bearings and seals but I'm not sure yet.

Does anyone know what the sensors are in the second picture, i have one on each side.

20200416_131315.jpg

20200416_131324.jpg

22 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

They're the avcs sensors bud , as far as I remember they have a o ring sealing them into the head 😉

Thanks, I may as well renew them whilst I'm in there.

I was a bit annoyed to remove what is sold as the PCV assembly to find no valve inside. It was in the Intake manifold.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, Status said:

New Tein lowers springs,spot lights fitted and wired in,rear fog light using led bulb ( it’s a jdm ) and Hayward and Scott back box going on,waiting for new wheels 18 inch rota’s in gold to arrive then to mates garage for a four wheel alignment all on my JDM Hawkeye Wagon ,until then have to use my ppp sti bug,life’s a ****** but off to Iceland tomorrow so hoping new wheels arrive when I come back,new wheels on and looking good

C7838478-3458-4D8B-8187-DD2009BB2745.jpeg

• Like 1

Started stripping down the inlet manifold, I've read that the rubber fuel hoses can become brittle, that sit on the underside of the manifold, so I'm going to replace all of them, possibly with a parallel fuel setup, injector seals and filters will be replaced, and the loom tidied up.

• Like 2

I've rebuilt the throttle body today, cleaned the Idle air valve and, stripped the loom off the intake manifold, it just needs a clean and wrapping in new tape. Also been reading about the banjo bolts with the oil screens in, I better clean those whilst i can get to them

• Like 1

14 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Plonked this in the bay this afternoon , still gotta plumb everything but its sat it its rightful place at last 😎Screenshot_20200421-174908_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5b65862f42f11760a6595c19e40a31b6.jpg

What power levels are you aiming for?

Nowhere near what the bottom end is good for , as it's only a road car and I want to retain some drivabilty. 

Think my current injectors will max at 380hp and turbo would probably max at  410hp . I don't want a track weapon with high pub numbers but I think eventually I'd like responsive mid 400's .

As I don't want a harsh clutch and can't afford big expensive turbos , it's more about me doing something constructive rather than me competing with anyone 😉

• Like 1

What duty cyle are the injectors running at, at 380bhp?

According to apparent best practice anything above 85% is risky as they can overheat, burn out and create issues with attomisation of fuel 

On the 2ltr ot was running 359.9 hp @ 80% duty, standard pressure, parallel fuel rails on nismo 565cc side feed injectors.  I don't mind turning the rail pressure up a bit but I wont push them , hopefully I'll get some bigger ones and maybe a link g4+ ecu from santa 😉

Whys that ,anyways @Newman2213 ?

18 minutes ago, Newman2213 said:

What duty cyle are the injectors running at, at 380bhp?

According to apparent best practice anything above 85% is risky as they can overheat, burn out and create issues with attomisation of fuel 

My brother ran 347 hp at standard pressure on stock 440cc yellows at 95% duty for 3 years without any issues. 

I'm not one for pushing components anyways,  hence why I spec'd the bottom end for 750hp and the top for 520hp 😉

No I didn't buy a kit , bud .

Bought some mahle stroker pistons,  a 2.5 sti crank , re used my 2ltr b.c rods and used a local engineer to do a thrust conversion on my cdb (so the later crank fits )

Had a busy day today and I'm about a hr away from first start up , hopefully get it taxed in may , for her 26th birthday Screenshot_20200422-193737_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e732275c40f4f275c84598ba9998b217.jpg

Screenshot_20200422-193821_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e132bad00213721c5ceba9cccc3cc64b.jpg

Screenshot_20200422-193846_Gallery.thumb.jpg.bb32ee58abd885ba9f24ebfc5078a5c8.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't want the extra weight of a newage lol , the v1sti only weighs 1230kg and is a much raw'er car to drive (no abs, airbags ect) 

Plus it already has a 6 speed , coilovers and brembos ect . ., believe me a responsive 450hp will be more than enough in the old girl 😉Screenshot_20200220-235755_Gallery.jpg.1e73281c383a0139c718bc3d17c30d2b.jpg

• Like 2

I'm waiting on a delivery of some fuel hose, cable conduit and banjo washers.

I took the banjo bolts out of AVCS lines and the filters were clear, I just have the turbo one to do. Removed the cam and crank positioning sensors and swapped the rubbers whilst I was there. (All imperial sizes so far) and PTFE taped the oil sensor.

I've started cleaning the dried oil from the engine block and cam covers, I'm concerned the cam covers are leaking but I will find out once I've cleaned off the crud

On 4/28/2020 at 12:07 AM, Newman2213 said:

I discovered the reason for some of the oil on the engine

How F####D up is this!?!?

https://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/19909-attn-all-owners-of-cars-that-have-avcs/

will have to check that on mine - know it has not got back to the loom itself as I have done some weeding on that but the sensors i will check