What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

Haha well I had to persuade her to go for them and now she's read up on it she likes them,

Ones for our car and the others for my mum &dad saves having to mess around

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

got my wagon back after some fluid changes.  Engine oil and filter + gearbox and rear diff oil.  According to service history these were never changed since new (in 2005) - guy said the old oil was like milk when it came out, so its good it was done.

20 minutes ago, W444AJD said:

got my wagon back after some fluid changes.  Engine oil and filter + gearbox and rear diff oil.  According to service history these were never changed since new (in 2005) - guy said the old oil was like milk when it came out, so its good it was done.

I'm planning on fully monty fluid changes all round when my service is done in May too - can never be a bad thing for that peace of mind

Perfect day for working on the car and with a few hours free until our grandson is dropped off for the afternoon, time to get cracking with some much needed upgrades.....
Safety first. After placing securely on a pair of stands, the wheels come off...
20170204_122419_zpsvo7pacu8.jpg

The 2 x 19mm bolts securing the caliper to the hub and loosened off...
20170204_122604_zpsijmkmyze.jpg

Next step is to remove the pain retaining pins.
20170204_123020_zpsjznvbwj2.jpg

These have two small spring clips keeping them in place. Simply pull out with some needle nose pliers and slide out the pins.
20170204_123245_zpsvlvonqze.jpg

A small G clamp is used to squeeze the pads to push the pistons back into the calipers...
20170204_123400_zpsme4ligj6.jpg

The pads  are then simply slid out from the caliper with their backing plates (take note of how the plates are positioned for refitting)...
20170204_123440_zpso6why0ie.jpg

With the pads out, the calipers can now be removed. I used a small bunjee cord to hang the caliper from the coil spring to prevent damage to the brake hose...
20170204_123458_zpsg8gyounw.jpg

The rotor is then removed from the hub. If it's stuck on due to corrosion, etc, use a small bolt as in the below pic to help 'push' the rotor off the hub. I simply used the bolt which holds the brake hose bracket to tyhe strut as it's the same thread...
20170204_123832_zpspdot8ilu.jpg

First part complete...
20170204_124301_zpsutruboie.jpg

Protective film applied in the factory is removed from the new rotor using brake cleaner. Just be careful not to get any on the paint!
20170204_124408_zps3jvynd4o.jpg

The replacement rotor slides straight onto the hub and the caliper is bolted back into place.
I'm using Dixcel ES pads from Japan. I have no experience with them, but have read good reviews so happy to give them a try. They are essebntially a fast street pad - perfect for me as I'm not intending on any track use. Only thing of note at this stage is the lack of a pad wear indicator. The Brembo pads have a mechanical indicator which squeals when the pads gets below a certain thickness. Will need to keep a close eye on these when they start to wear down. Instructions say 300+ km bedding in period of 'normal' road driving. So will need to drive like a nanna for a couple of weeks :bangin:

Fitment of the pads is the reverse of removal essentially. I used some copper grease on the backing plates to help prevent any squealing...
20170204_130921_zpsdnthq0ov.jpg

20170204_130927_zpswvp7eelu.jpg

dba paint 3 strips on their rotors. These are temperature indicators and change to when a certain temp is reached -
Red - changes to white above 610°C
Orange - changes to yellow above 560°C
Green - changes to white above 430°C

And completed...
20170204_134548_zpsbif1babo.jpg

I also did the rears, but was pushed for time so didn't take some many pics. 17mm caliper bolts at the rear - pads use the same retaining pin set up. As my car is relatively new, I had no issues removing the rotors but you may need to adjust the handbrake shoes on higher mileage cars probably?

20170204_151126_zpsewi6f0en.jpg

20170204_151415_zpsdpodxnyv.jpg

20170204_152805_001_zpsgeh1pqgi.jpg

20170204_160817_zpsjqdforfo.jpg

Will be a couple of weeks at least before I can report back on how they are going. By then, I should also have some braided lines fitted and some Motul 660 fluid to replace the stock stuff.
  • Like 5

Made my first trip to the Infinity wax shop up near Kirkcaldy and bought the best part of £60 worth of goodies! This was spurred on by the fact I had the fun task of removing the sticky pads that hold my front plate on as my number plate fell off during the night, thankfully while standing still on my driveway!!

IMG_20170208_131928.jpg

Snapchat-1368792010.jpg

Too cold to work on the scooby and not enough snow to go out for a pint of milk but I did buy it some company.

5711802ecbb2bcde793d4eff8e0cc800.jpg

In the form of a Lwb caddy work van ,i've only done 60 mls in it but i gotta say I'm quite impressed with it [emoji106]

It's a 1.6 tdi with weedy 102ps but 250flbs it churns out means it's fairly nippy , well compared to my old combo van anyways [emoji39]

• Like 1