What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

Finally got around to sorting my exhaust out it was butchered where someone had tried to make it fit a 2.5inch system. 

So I cut it out and the resonator. Still one resonator further down didn't really effect the sound, but at least the whole thing is 3 inch all the way now.

20190522_190045.jpg

• Like 2

Had 2 days off work this week , be rude not to spend them doing something constructive. 

So I Fitted a new toilet yesterday morning which kept the mrs happy and earnt me some brownie points ..  

Promptly cashed them in yesterday afternoon and fitted a new dsr door on the bug ,as the old 1 had a large dent in it .

Then spent some time adjusting the fuel pressure and tps voltage on the v1 sti ....

Think I've finally sussed it and its running much better atm 🤞

• Like 3

Just picked the car up from the safety recall for airbags brake pipe inspection and relay replacement - no problems with the alarm so they are saying interference.... Think I will be interfering with the siren if it continues to go off a 2 in the morning 😡

18 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

Just picked the car up from the safety recall for airbags brake pipe inspection and relay replacement - no problems with the alarm so they are saying interference.... Think I will be interfering with the siren if it continues to go off a 2 in the morning 😡

Had the same thing in the bug , alarm going off randomly. 

Me being me , got all technical testing wires and fuses and couldn't find a fault 🤔

Turned out during the sunny weather I'd been leaving the sun visors down and they were blocking the signal to the movement sensors,  I assume as the car cooled down inside it set the alarm off 🙄

• Like 1

I have taken her out for a blast, I tried keeping up with a BMW M3, it got away on the straights. 

I've bought some coolant today  I'm going to attempt to swap the coolant. My plan is remove the reservoir hoses, and connect one to the hose pipe and one to a pipe into a bucket, then remove the bottom coolant hose after a gentle flush.

It took me 3 hours to find an appropriate coolant.

• Like 1

Fitted a new frp and intake hose. Intake hose was from ash doesn't crush like the first attempt. Just in case anyone is replacing the old rubber one it's a 57mm 120 degree bend then cut to size. Top tip use a Razer blade the put a hose clamp on where you want to cut and you'll get a perfectly straight cut. Here's a few pics after a bath.

20190524_192451.jpg

20190524_192516.jpg

20190524_194053.jpg

20190524_192417.jpg

• Like 4

Fitted the new top hose, went to start bleeding the system so fired her up and got a misfire CEL. 

Plugged it in and it was on cylinder 1. After a bit of faffing, swapping coils and plugs etc, still couldn’t find the issue. Did a bit of reading and discovered it could be the front O2 sensor. Unplugged it and got the solid CEL, not the blinking for a misfire. I’ve got a spare sensor in the garage somewhere, I’ll swap it over tomorrow and see where we’re at. 

For now, I think a beer or 5 is in order 😂

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

Looking good @JamesJDMwagon always found ash good quality stuff ,too 👍

Decided to give the bug a "quick wash" .

Soon evolved into touching up a few stone chips , polishing the headlight lenses and a coat of killer wax 😊

Screenshot_20190429-210543_Samsung Internet.jpg

20190525_172645.jpg

Did those fog lights come as standard? 

On 5/24/2019 at 6:17 PM, savage bulldogs said:

Had the same thing in the bug , alarm going off randomly. 

Me being me , got all technical testing wires and fuses and couldn't find a fault 🤔

Turned out during the sunny weather I'd been leaving the sun visors down and they were blocking the signal to the movement sensors,  I assume as the car cooled down inside it set the alarm off 🙄

ahhhh really - right ill check that - cheers

spent today giving the RX a clean plus the STI a first deep clean and some paint correction with my polisher - looking a good apart from one mirror which I corrected too harshly and now will need a blow over with paint and lacquer 🙄

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

ahhhh really - right ill check that - cheers

spent today giving the RX a clean plus the STI a first deep clean and some paint correction with my polisher - looking a good apart from one mirror which I corrected too harshly and now will need a blow over with paint and lacquer 🙄

I'm having a try at polishing mine for the first time, what's the paint like  what did you use a rotating polisher or dual action.

@Jay762 think as the interior cooled the sun visors shrunk or moved or maybe a insect went between sensor and visor?

Either way angling the sensors so they didn't point at the sun visors, stopped the alarm going off during the night and stopped me having to run around on the driveway at 2am, in my pants with a baseball bat 😂

@Newman2213 tbh I'm not sure if the fogs are standard as the v7sti type UK is pretty much as I bought it . However I do have receipts for the jdm clocks ,front grill and his headlights in the s.h folder.

So they could be standard or someone's fitted them , sorry I've not been any help 🙄

Maybe someone else knows ? 

20190525_184218.jpg

20190525_184150.jpg

@Jay762 think as the interior cooled the sun visors shrunk or moved or maybe a insect went between sensor and visor?

Either way angling the sensors so they didn't point at the sun visors, stopped the alarm going off during the night and stopped me having to run around on the driveway at 2am, in my pants with a baseball bat 😂

@Newman2213 tbh I'm not sure if the fogs are standard as the v7sti type UK is pretty much as I bought it . However I do have receipts for the jdm clocks ,front grill and his headlights in the s.h folder.

So they could be standard or someone's fitted them , sorry I've not been any help 🙄

Maybe someone else knows ? 

Mine doesn't have the lights behind the covers, apparently you had to spec them when the car was new.  I'm trying to find a pair as I prefer the look tbh.  Rumour has it they're the same as the GC8 fogs but I can't find anyone that can confirm that 100%.  I'll settle for a pair of UK spec lights as there's no way I'm paying £300 for the JDM ones :laugh:.

• Like 1

Either Mbdevolpments or jdm solutions Suffolk (both on f.b)  will probably have newage foglights in stock , much cheaper. 

I'm sure the loom will have the plugs at the dash and bumper ends but on some classics the foglight mounting brackets have to be removed to fit the covers .

So check the mountings are under the covers and buy the switch at the same time , if you have a blank where the switch should be 😉

• Thanks 2

Either Mbdevolpments or jdm solutions Suffolk (both on f.b)  will probably have newage foglights in stock , much cheaper. 

I'm sure the loom will have the plugs at the dash and bumper ends but on some classics the foglight mounting brackets have to be removed to fit the covers .

So check the mountings are under the covers and buy the switch at the same time , if you have a blank where the switch should be 😉

Thanks dude, that's very helpful!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 12:36 AM, Newman2213 said:

I'm having a try at polishing mine for the first time, what's the paint like  what did you use a rotating polisher or dual action.

I am using a rotating polisher with variable speed - the best advise I can give as a complete beginner is to not use the backing pad or sheep wool mop that comes with the unit.

I purchased a 5 inch soft rubber backing pad and a set of the hex logic waffle pads and am not catching the paintwork or lights like I did originally. A recent eye operation has allowed me to see just what a bad job I did of the RX.

The body work paint on the STI is quite thick but on the mirrors there is no lacquer and very thin paint

• Like 1

The missus has just curbed the offside front wheel - she is not in a good mood.... have quite a few across the different motors that need looking at, going to be looking for some sort of bulk discount 🙃 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

I am using a rotating polisher with variable speed - the best advise I can give as a complete beginner is to not use the backing pad or sheep wool mop that comes with the unit.

I purchased a 5 inch soft rubber backing pad and a set of the hex logic waffle pads and am not catching the paintwork or lights like I did originally. A recent eye operation has allowed me to see just what a bad job I did of the RX.

The body work paint on the STI is quite thick but on the mirrors there is no lacquer and very thin paint

Thanks a lot.

I've had a practice run on the wife's fiesta, it has every type of scratch imaginable.

It came up pretty good, I used a dual action polisher, as I heard you can burn through the clear coat with a polisher if you have no experience with them.

The Ammo videos on YouTube give an in depth scientific analysis of polishing. Which I found really useful.

2 minutes ago, Newman2213 said:

The Ammo videos on YouTube give an in depth scientific analysis of polishing. Which I found really useful.

great ill take a look at those

12 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

The missus has just curbed the offside front wheel - she is not in a good mood.... have quite a few across the different motors that need looking at, going to be looking for some sort of bulk discount 🙃 

Ouch.

I'm getting mine done in a few weeks at BCS Automotive in Nottingham.

I asked for a quote on the website and a week later I got a special offer, it cost £185 for repair and respray in any colour, any finish with lifetime warranty.

11 minutes ago, Newman2213 said:

I asked for a quote on the website and a week later I got a special offer, it cost £185 for repair and respray in any colour, any finish with lifetime warranty.

I take it that is for all four wheels?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 4:07 PM, Newman2213 said:

Yes all 4 wheels

Have received a set of emails from them, will be sorting out getting them booked in, have gone through their website and it looks good

1 hour ago, Jay762 said:

Have received a set of emails from them, will be sorting out getting them booked in, have gone through their website and it looks good

I thought so too, mine are in for the 3rd July, I could post them but I dont think it's a good plan.

I was sent the offer over a bank holiday, saying limited number of slots available, with various wheel and caliper refurbishment offers.

I will put some before and after pics once they are complete.

• Like 1